cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP BODS excel file open error

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I am creating a very basic job which reads excel as an input and produces flat fle as output.

The excel is on my local machine.

but when I execute the job, I get below error.

12448 1620 FIL-080101 15/12/2014 14:05:15 Cannot open file <//Client/C$/311649/work/MLE - Demand Forecasting/sample data files/ProductService - ProductGroup.xls>. Check

Please can someone help what is wrong with my job.

Regards

Swati

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member187605
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

As you say, the Excel file is on your local machine. DS runs on a server. If the server has no access to your local drive, and it normally hasn't, you'll have to copy your file.

Assuming you run DS on Windows, you basically have 2 options:

1/. Copy the file to a disk on the DS server

2/. Move your file to a share

When running DS on Linux, you will only have option 1.

You'll have to change the access path of the Excel in the data flow(s) where it is used to make sure DS can find it the new location.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Dirik,

Cant we place the file in a shared folder, which the shared folder having the Read/Write access to everyone..

Can we have approach like this..?

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have tried but it still showing the same error

former_member187605
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

That is the recommended approach in a homogeneous Windows landscape. My option 2/.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Dirk,

Yes.But it showing same error.

former_member187605
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Can you add a screenshot of the Format tab of your Excel source properties?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi, this is my screen shot.

former_member187605
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yes, but how do you refer to it in DS? That's what I need to see. Do you have D:\sk\New.xlsx there too?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Kavya, 

You need to provide the path in your file format relative to the job server and not the path being referred to from your local machine. If your file is being placed on a shared drive that the job server has access to, you can provide the IP address followed by the actual folder path.

E.g: 192.XX.XX.XX\SharedDrive\

-Chaitanya

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Chaitanya,

But it  still showing same error

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

with help of Dirk Venken orginal solution, I could create a file on job server successfully. Thanks Dirk. Now I am facing another problem

I want to create a file without any delimiters but in file format , default delimiter is comma.

how can I create a file with no delimiters

Swati

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Please Go through this,.

FYR

Regards,

Santhosh

Former Member
0 Kudos

This is to remove special characters. what I am looking for is,

I created a file format in bods. while creating it, default delimiter is comma. I don't want any delimiter.

I want to extract data in a flat file without any delimiters.

Former Member
0 Kudos
Former Member
0 Kudos

Are you writing to or reading from this file? Also, by "no delimiter", are you by any chance referring to a text tab delimited file.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am writting the data into a flat file. I just want to append my source fields one after another.

I do not want anything in between. no tab, no comma, no semicolon

former_member187605
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The first option in the file format is Type (cf. your screenshot). Its default value is "Delimited", switch it to "Fixed width". And off you go.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks a lot Dirk.. u r  a champ

0 Kudos

Hey Dirk,

I doubt if we are truncating couple of fields if we go with fixed width , when the length of total record is different, which would be a data loss. and we cannot make changes to the file format structure every time when there is a change in the length of the source data. Please advice.

Santhosh

former_member187605
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You've got to know what you want. Either you can go for a fixed-format file with the "Fixed width" option. Or you cannot, then you use delimited.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am new to sap bods. Can i know the uses of miscellaneous and string functions

please let me know.

Thanks& Advance