cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to load Oracle's lob type into HANA

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi experts,

we're dealing with large volume of oracle's lob type(CLOB&BLOB) data,we need to load the lobs into HANA,questions are:

1.Does Hana's import command support lob data?

2.The tools of export oracle's lob data.

3.Does Hana support lob column's compress,if so,how about the compress ratio.

Thanks a lot.

Kelvin

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Kelvin,

how about you check the documentation first?

LOB datatypes are explained in the documentation.

In order to  get from Oracle to SAP HANA, one of the most convenient options is to use SAP DataServices.

LOB compression/de-duplication is currently not available (and honestly it's not the most prominent feature on any DBMS as it stems back to the days of database-as-a-filesystem approaches).

- Lars

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Lars,

Actually,I have checked the reference books,seems there is limited functionality about the operation of LOB type,especially comparing to Oracle database.Since we have many product pictures need to be stored into HANA,Data service maybe is an good choices,but I'm not sure about the performance when loading lob types.

Appreciate for your notice and kind suggestion,we'll continue to find out which way is the best practice of of scenario.

thanks.

Kelvin

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

And what do you do with those pictures then? And how large are those?

From what you described up to here, it seems to be a rather simple use case for LOB data (store & retrieve). If you don't do anything more challenging with the LOB contents you can do this with SAP HANA easily.

Clearly you have some opinion on DataServices - although I don't see why you doubt the performance of this solution. It's one of the easiest ways to run the loading in parallel.

Anyhow, good luck with your further efforts.

- Lars