Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

moving a oracle datafile online

former_member196171
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Experts ,

sr3.data25  datafile  has been created twice in two unix file systems  as below ( brspace did not complain )  , what is the best way to rename one file to sr3.data26 while database is up and running ?

Do I have bring tablespace offline ? if it is,  what are the consequences if tablespace is offline ( while DB and SAP is running )  during this change ?

Thanks

Al Mamun

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member182657
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Abu,

Kindly follow SAP Note   868750 - How to relocate/rename a datafile

Also you can opt brtools to rename the data file,and i suggest you to have a complete backup before the procedure.

Regards,

Gaurav

former_member196171
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Gaurav,

Thanks for your reply.

I have checked the note, looks like I have to bring the tablespace offline to rename the datafile, I have tested the procedure in a sandbox it just took two minutes keeping the tablespace offline .

Now my concern is: what are the consequences with  the transactions in these two minutes as SAP is up and running ?

Thanks

Al Mamun

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member182657
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Abu,

what are the consequences with  the transactions in these two minutes as SAP is up and running ?

During the procedure of moving / renaming data file while SAP is in function,than you can face slow processing issue with the transactions for that period of time,but this would be negligible for a good Hardware configurations.

Regards,

Gaurav

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Abu,

I have done this.

I will share steps how to move data files in offline DB using BRtools.

BRtools--->Space mgmt(2)---->Data files(6)---->c-->c---->'File name'----->c

Regards

S.Basis