cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Afaria Samsung MMEP

Former Member
0 Kudos

When enrolling a Samsung device, the app "Afaria Samsung MMEP" is automatically installed. Unfortunately the device needs to allow the installation of apps from unknown sources Prior to installation.

What is the reason SAP does not publish this app in Google Play Store which would allow to avoid the "unknown sources" setting?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

tracy_barkley
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Rudolf,

We used to publish different clients on the Play store and found it far more confusing for customers.  In addition, some customers would attempt to install the code designed specifically for Samsung on other devices.  Although the MMEP does need privileges it has been far smoother for customer experience.  In addition it allows SAP to make updates when Samsung adds/changes device level OS without having to rewrite the main client.  This allows for faster adoption and less impact for customers.  A MMEP update is also less impactful on Samsung users.

Tracy Barkley

SAP Active Global Support

Former Member
0 Kudos

Tracy

Thank you very much for your answer.

Because we instruct our employees not to install apps from other sources than Google Play (and would like to enforce it with Afaria) the current situation is not satisfactory. Wouldn't it be a better user experience to put the app on Google Play and

• rename it to "Afaria Samsung add-on"
  • make it only available to devices which support the functionality (through the manifest in the app)?

With the appearance of Android 5 which supports SAFE by Default the situation has to be re-evaluated anyway.

tracy_barkley
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

I would suggest that you go to http://ideas.sap.com and submit this as a product enhancement request.  This decision is one made by Product Management, not support.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I would love to but for Afaria no idea session exists...

Can you help?

tracy_barkley
Employee
Employee
Former Member
0 Kudos

I can't find Mobile Secure either...

I try to address the topic withe the product Management.

Former Member
0 Kudos
tracy_barkley
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Thanks Peter.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Unfortunately not for me 😞 see attachment

Former Member
0 Kudos

I got feedback from the product management:

The reason that the MMEP apk is not on the store is that it is a separate app that is signed specially by Samsung just for us so that we can access their SAFE API’s.  This is a requirement of Samsung and the MMEP app is only downloaded to Samsung devices after the Play Afaria client is downloaded and ran.