Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USMM System Measurement number

former_member275658
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Gurus,

I read lot of posts on USMM but have few doubts.

Can anyone please advise

1. When I run system measurement USMM will note the number of times system measurement is done. That means we need to send it to  SAP whenever we run system measurement or can re run system measurement again if the first run result was not as expected  and then send it to SAP ?

2. There are multiple background jobs which gets scheduled each time when we click on system measurement like below.. does it ihave any mpact on anything as it is production ?

1201 SAP Financial Supply Chain Management

1215 SAP FSCM Credit Management

1230 SAP FSCM Dispute Management

1240 SAP FSCM Collections Management

1400 Bank Relationship Management

Thank you in Advance.

Regards,

Salman

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member275658
Contributor
0 Kudos

Is it mandatory to send it to SAP every year ? What is the impact if we don't send every year. We gone live in April 2014.

I have to change the user types from Operational (ran in first run but not sent to SAP) to other types then I can send it SAP but how SAP knows that it is from latest run ?

Former Member
0 Kudos
  1. Please ignore Asaduzzaman's advice, since that might well be the worst practise. If you have a landscape of several productive systems (say: ERP, BI, SRM etc.), errors in user-classifcation always can happen: lost IDOCs, forgot one system ... and so on. So, of course, you only send the one run the results of which you are satisfied with. Run it as often as you wish without sending it. Correct all the errors and only send the last and error-free run.
  2. USMM does not only measure user licenses. Depending on your price list, it might well measure the use of installed components or -if you have a named user agreement- on how many workstations the same user has been logged on at the same time or does one user have unrealistic logon times (like more than 12 hours) and so on. This is well documented someplace in SMP.
  3. Do not (repeat: not) send measurement data to SAP without being prompted by them. They get extremely irritated if they receive measurement data for which they have no request in their own systems. This might lead to some unpleasent (and completely obsolete) e-mail exchanges. So don't. They will notify you and send you a measurement plan when they want you to run USMM. However, it can't hurt to keep your user data in excellent condition at all times.
  4. Consider (especially when running several landscapes) the use of LAW, even LAW 2.0. This is a centralised license audit engine and it works like a charm (millions of bugs aside). It's absolute pro is: you have an overview over all systems and the status of the license audit jobs in all the systems on one single point and that's priceless if you have - say 27 systems.
  5. Finally - the jobs you posted look like they would measure applications. I don't know whether your contract with SAP runs on that base. Please check and adjust your price list in USMM accordingly. This is of maximum importance, so please make it right.
former_member275658
Contributor
0 Kudos

thank you Mylene for the expert advise.

Yes we do have lot of installed components.. I was concerned by looking at so many jobs scheduled at once during execution of system measurement. These jobs doesn't impact anything in daily production activities correct ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Well, they impact performance, of course. So you're probably wise to run  them at times when the load is minimal.

Other than that, they have no impact I know of.

former_member275658
Contributor
0 Kudos

thanks again we thought of performance load so ran during quite window. One last question, changing user types from Operational to other types doesn't impact users (from doing their regular business actiivties) correct ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

No, no effect at all. There's a short-time lock on the user data, but that's of no impact to the end-user.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member275658
Contributor
0 Kudos

thanks Mylene for your quick responses. Appreciate your help and expert advise

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Salman,

Surely You can re-run and send to SAP. But best practice is to send the first run report in every year.

Thanks.

Asad