cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Monitor J2EE stack like dpmon or msmon on ABAP side

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am attempting to monitor the J2EE stack and want to know if there is a way to get a return code back.

Is there a command much like jcmon that would give me back a status of 1 or 0 to see if it is up. I can go to jcmon and then select a number to get the running status however I cannot interpret that with a single unix command. I know if I see dispatcher server and SDM all running that in all likelyhood the engine is up.

If jcmon is the only tool, how can I in a script get the status of my server0 dispatcher and SDM...it seems cockeyed and messy to do this..

I know to go to DN:50x00 to check and see manually but I nned an SAP command to give me aq return code for engine status.

Does anyone have any idea what I could use. It seems like the ABAP stack has a number of monitors to help with this task but I can't find any on the java side.

Thanks much,

Mikie

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Mikie,

If I understand you correctly you are looking for a way to check if the J2EE Engine is running using a script. The easiest way is to use the ps –ef | grep jla command. It will return all jlaunch processes, one for every node (server<n>, dispatcher and SDM). The command returns something like that:

sr2adm 7131 6976 0 15:17 ? 00:00:28 /usr/sap/SR2/JC00/exe/jlaunch pf=/usr/sap/SR2/SYS/profile/SR2_JC00_support6 -DSAPINFO=SR2_00_dispatcher -nodeId=0 -file=/usr/sap/SR2/JC00/j2ee/cluster/instance.properties -syncSem=5013577 -nodeName=ID7416300 -jvmOutFile=/usr/sap/SR2/JC00/work/jvm_dispatcher.out -stdOutFile=/usr/sap/SR2/JC00/work/std_dispatcher.out -locOutFile=/usr/sap/SR2/JC00/work/dev_dispatcher -mode=JCONTROL pf=/usr/sap/SR2/SYS/profile/SR2_JC00_support6

As you could see there is a lot of information and you could be more specific when grep and distinguish the jlaunch processes.

One exception when this will not work is if the J2EE Engine is hanging. If you wish to avoid that you could use script that sends telnet request to the http port and checks the result. Something like:

telnet localhost 50000

GET / HTTP/1.0

If everything works fine this should return:

HTTP/1.1 302 Found

If the J2EE Engine is hanging the port will not accept your request.

Regards, Ventsi

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Mikie,

Have you evaluated the NWA yet? type your server name ....:5xxoo/nwa.

The NWA has a central montioring capability that coordinates with the SLD of the landscape to monitor all J2EE stacks you'd be running in your environment.

The NWA can serve itself too if you've only the one system.

As far as I know, there's no toolset to centrally monitor all of the ABAP and J2EE stack pieces from one spot yet.

Hope this helps and I understood your question correctly.

Cheers,

Tim