Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email notifications in IS

adrian_storen
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi all,

Has anyone successfully configured IS to send notifications on term/ rule approval?

In IS 4.2 SP2, I set up the users with email accounts, configured the job server, and enabled emails in Manage > Preferences and still cannot get it working.

The only information I have seen relates to DS and fixing a port, but this may not be the correct configuration point that will enable email to work.

The IS Job Server mentions "Neither Message Broker, Adapter Manager, nor SNMP MB Server started."

regards

Adrian

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Adrian,

I have recently been successful in setting up the email notifications in IS 4.2 SP3. It took a few iterations of trial and error since detailed documentation for this setup is lacking.

My first few attempts failed and what is frustrating is the fact that there are no helpful error messages to assist in the troubleshooting process. Here is what finally worked for me:

1. Watch this YouTube video to understand the basics of what needs to be configured:
    Set Up Email Notification - YouTube
  2. Double check that each and every one of your EIM Adaptive Job Servers have the "Email" Destination configured. This is a tricky part of the setup since details on what you can and should configure is not documented. Also, some SMTP servers have different minimum  requirements for emails to be delivered. I found out the hard way that our SMTP servers require a VALID email address in the From field. For me, these fields were the minimum to be completed:
    Domain Name
    Host
    Port
    From (With valid email address. Placeholders did not work for me)
  3. Here is another caveat in regards to the user setup which I discovered yesterday and have yet to resolve with SAP support... email notifications will not be sent to any users nested in a group under the Metapedia built-in groups. For instance,  a BO group named "Our Metapedia Approvers" is created and is joined to the built-in group "Metapedia Approver". Any users added to the "Our Metapedia Approvers" group will NOT receive email notifications. However, any users added directly to the "Metapedia Approver" group WILL receive the email notifications (assuming the preference is enabled for the user). This is particularly annoying since we are using Windows AD groups to assign roles. None of the AD users in the AD group are receiving the email notifications even though they have permissions within each role.

There is one log file that helped troubleshoot the issue. First, increase the TraceLog Service Log Level for the Adaptive Job Servers. Any subsequent Metapedia notification events should show up in the AdaptiveJobServer_Trace.glf file in the folder %BOInstallDIR%\SAP BusinessObjects Enterprise XI 4.0\logging\.

Hope this helps!

Don

adrian_storen
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Don,

Thanks for the reply.  I found that video and spent too much time configuring and testing the EIM AJS.  According to other doco I also had to set up the Destination on the BO AJS Server too on all servers in the cluster.  Luckily we did not need a valid email address in the from field.

So it is working in the development environment now (sort of).  Emails reminders and past due are being sent on a term/rule due date basis.  However, emails are not being sent on term/ rule submission as per the doco (support item raised).

Thanks for the tip on the groups.  I have only tested on Enterprise users to date.

regards

Adrian

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Adrian,

Any luck with the support message you have raised with SAP?

We have the exact same issue. While we receive all the reminder emails for term/rule due date, we do not receive emails for Approval submissions.

We have a clustered environment too and have set up email destination on all the available Job Servers.

Looking forward to your response.

Regards

Abhi

adrian_storen
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Abhi,

Emails for reminders and past due are being sent, which appear to be due to the email utility.  Still no luck with sending other emails or response from SAP.

regards

Adrian

Former Member
0 Kudos

Abhi,

That is certainly odd to receive the email reminders and past due notifications and not receive the approval notifications. I just checked our notifications and found we are receiving all notifications as designed. We are using IS 4.2 SP3.

Are you attempting to send approvals to the built-in groups (ie. Metapedia Approver)?

Regards,

Don

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Don,

The email utility which runs on the IS job server successfully sends the reminder due date emails.

The problem is with the BO AJS installed on the DS/IS server.

Our current environment setup is as below:

Server 1 - BO, DS/IS  Web components

Server 2 - BO

Server 3 - BO APS and AJS, IS and DS

The workaround we currently have is to remove the Destination delivery service from AJS running on server 3 (DS/IS Server). This forces the emails to go out from the primary BO AJS server running on server 2.

Unsure why the AJS running on IS/DS server does not send out the emails. The email destination setup on all AJS servers running are identical.

Regards

Abhi

Answers (0)