cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can we install Sysam license server on a Virtual Machine?

Former Member
0 Kudos

We are trying to move our Sysam Licence server to a new server running on Virtual Machine. The problem we are having: sysam start returns an error saying ‘service is not responding to the control function’. We have the new generated license file place in licenses sub-folder, and host id and host name all matched with new machine info.

Is it possible to install Sysam license server on a Virtual Machine?

I noticed the host id from physical machine and virtual machine are in different format.

Host id on virtual machine: 005056800187

Host id on physical machine: "001a646803fa 00101825de68"

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member190719
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yes.  I would recommend basing the license on the serial number of the "hard drive" of the virtual machine rather than the network card though.

Former Member
0 Kudos

How can I switch the 'lmutil lmhostid' command to output 'hard drive' id instead of network card?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Got it, use lmutil hostid -vsn.

C:\sybase\SYSAM-2_0\bin>lmutil hostid -vsn

lmutil - Copyright (c) 1989-2005 Macrovision Europe Ltd. and/or Macrovision Corp

oration. All Rights Reserved.

The FLEXlm host ID of this machine is "DISK_SERIAL_NUM=305bf95a"

Next question is should I use 305bf95a as the new host id? or the whole string 'DISK_SERIAL_NUM=305bf95a' as the host id when generating new license file?

former_member190719
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The whole thing.

CobyKako
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello Frank,

It is possible to install SySAM on a virtual machine.

Some tips to consider:

* Please check if you have many network cards in your VM

* Issue a ipconfig /all DOS command to check if it is the correct hostid/hostname

* Check if you have ipV6 enabled

Hope this helps

Jacob

Former Member
0 Kudos

What is reason to check network card and ipV6? Why/where do I need those settings?

I run ipconfig /all, same hostid/hostname info.

Thanks!