cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

License file

Former Member
0 Kudos

If one purchases a copy of SQL Anywhere for download, is a license file part of the download or does it come from somewhere else?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

...I am unsure as to whether the licence file is actually the executable (/opt/sqlanywhere16/bin64/dbsrv16) or something else!

Also, I presume it's OK to test the license on one machine and then, when I've got the hang of it, apply to the real production server (and that the server will work out that it's the only thing running that key)?

jeff_albion
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi Alex,

...I am unsure as to whether the licence file is actually the executable (/opt/sqlanywhere16/bin64/dbsrv16) or something else!

It's "something else". There should be a companion dbsrv16.lic file to the dbsrv16 binary in the bin64 directory:

hostname:/opt/sqlanywhere16/bin64$ ls dbsrv16*

dbsrv16  dbsrv16.lic

This is the file that is targetted by the Server Licensing Utility (dblic).

Jeff Albion

SAP Active Global Support

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

reimer_pods
Participant
0 Kudos

AFAIK Licence files are not part of the downloaded software packages. During installation you are prompted to enter a licence key. If you provided a valid one, license file(s) will be created for the licenced personal and / or network server.

How do you get a licence key?

For a SQL Anywhere Developer Edition you request a licence key by filling in the appopriate form (hidden somewhere in the SAP jungle, mabe someone has a link?).

Depending on the channel where you purchased SQLA a licence you will receive a mail with login credentials for the SAP Sybase Support Page. There you create a system and generate (a) licences key(s) w.r.t to your order.

If SQLA is already installed, you might repeat the installation or simply use the DBLIC utility to submit your licence key, which will create or alter the license file (e.g. dbsrv16.lic).

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes, I'm trying the dblic method.

dblic -u 5 -k NExxx-Hxxxx-Axxxx-4nnnn-0nnnn /opt/sqlanywhere16/bin64/dbsrv16.lic "User" "Company"

and it just comes back with

SQL Anywhere Server Licensing Utility Version 16.0.0.1948

Usage: dblic [options] license_file ["user name" "company name"]

@<data> expands <data> from environment variable <data> or file <data>

Options (use specified case, as shown):

-l <type>      license type: perseat or processor

-k <key>       registration key

-o <file>      log output messages to file

-q             quiet: do not display messages

-u <n>         number of users or processors for license

The server is currently running - I presume that's OK?

JasonHinsperger
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

You specify the license key (-k) OR the license type (-l) and number of users/chips (-u), but not both.

You should change to one of the following to license the server:

dblic -l perseat -u 5 /opt/sqlanywhere16/bin64/dbsrv16.lic "Company"

OR

dblic -k <key> /opt/sqlanywhere16/bin64/dbsrv16.lic "Company"

--Jason

Former Member
0 Kudos

But it's still saying it's a developer licence. Not sure if this is important to the functioning of my server, but it's confusing....

reimer_pods
Participant
0 Kudos

Just guessing ...

If the SQLA engine was running when you executed DBLIC, your changes won't have no effect until you stop and restart it

Reimer

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ah! Well that's saved me some more banging my head against the wall!! 😉

jose_at_sap
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Alex,

When you purchase SQL Anywhere, you receive a registration key that you must enter during the installation the product.  That will license the database server according to what you purchased.  Note that this registration key will be for production use (not development).

Once the database server is installed and you are ready to deploy, you can copy the appropriate files to your production server.  The list of files to deploy is here:

http://dcx.sybase.com/index.html#sa160/en/dbprogramming/server-deploy.html

Alternatively, you can just re-run the install program in your production server and simply provide your registration key at install.