cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Performance testing for Hana

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I am new to SAP Hana. I am trying to do a performance test for my analytical view for which I have some 100k records with two calculated columns. I simply want to see how long a query of all the data will take to return.

How do I view this information?

Thank you for your time!

Taylor

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

lucas_oliveira
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Taylor,

Whenever you execute a query in HANA Studio (SQL Editor) it will display in the execution and fetch time for the query in the output panel (white thing below the result set panel).

Of course, HANA Studio has a standard fetching limit (1000 rows). You can change that in Menu Window -> Preferences -> SAP HANA -> Runtime -> Result.

Best Regards,

Lucas de Oliveira

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The plan visualization (PlanViz) would be the tool of choice here as it actually fetches the complete result set.

SAP HANA performance is tremendously affected by the size of the result set - so simply doing a count or just fetching 1000 rows won't give you a realistic answer.

: the optimizer of most databases is now clever enough to find out if you are just counting and will change the execution accordingly. For SAP HANA this means: we just skip materialization wherever we can - which leads to very different results for the runtime on count(*) and the actual SQL command.

- Lars

former_member182114
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Many Thanks Lars,

I need revisit what I "know".

Best Regards, Fernando Da Rós

former_member182114
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Taylor,

You can enclose your select inside SELECT COUNT(*) FROM ( <yoursqlgoeshere> );

And pay attention to time spent on server only.

There are two others times that may confuse you processing time (plus network) and fetch time that with count will be very small.

Regards, Fernando Da Rós