cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ODS Rule Maintenance

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear all

I would like to double check if changing ods rule maintenace settings would have an impact on the systems performance.

At the moment, the majority of ods rule maintenance settings are set to FALSE which means that a lot of information is missing in the ods database. However, we would like to change them all to TRUE. Do we have to be concerned about systems performance issues? Or has it no impact because it will only affect newly imported data but not the historical ones?

Thanks and best regards

Alex

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

sergiy_katerinich
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Alex,

The new settings will be applied to new data only.

Turning additional summarization on will increase ODS script processing time once more calculations need to be done. But if you follow the recommendations about a separate database server for ODS schema, then it is unlikely to affect performance of production acitivities, for example, in POD.

Summarization by Custom NC Data Fields might cause some performance issue if adding new fields to the table changes explain plan of queries or makes the standard indices ineffective. But this needs a deeper investigation.

Regards,

Sergiy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sergiy, thanks for the quick reply, that's very helpful.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Alex

The data is not missing from the ODS if most of these are set to FALSE - it is in the corresponding ODS detail table. The detail tables in ODS populate the summary tables. Changing all the values to TRUE is pointless and will just increase your processing time and your database size. Rather, you should be asking if you need these summary tables at all -  most custom reports I've seen customers create cannot use the summaries, and the data needs to be taken from the detail table. This makes the summaries a complete waste of processing time and space.

I recommend that you engage consulting to go through this topic with you.

Stuart