cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP Enhancements

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

any of you guys know where can i find more info about this topic? I mean, historical info about it. Some detailed info about how SAP came with with and the purpose of it.

I'm doing a master thesis about SAP Enhancements and i need this kind of info.

Can i ask SAP for it? is there any contact to ask for this kind of stuff?

Thank you very much!

God bless.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member182378
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

bruno,

SAP has provided some standard functionalities. A company can use these for their day to day transactions, reporting etc. But in case company feels that there are gaps, the specific development can be done in SAP to meet these gaps. These specific developments will be applicable only for the company and not for all other companies using SAP. These are called SAP Enhancements.

The gaps are first documented (called functional specification document: FS), then the code is written to implement this FS. SAP has given some "places" where these codes can be written called USEREXITS

User Exits In Sales Document Processing - System Modifications - SAP Library

After coding, testing is done. If ok, the code (change request) is moved finally to production system.

Your thesis should include real time examples which showcase the benefit of SAP Enhancements. You can find examples in various forums (based on modules, SD, MM, FI) in SCN.

Enhancements involve cost - both in implementation and in support

I have seen several companies that do not have proper documentation of these Enhancements which causes problems, at a later stage. In some cases, Enhancements have never been used by business (there could be many reasons)

TW

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

This message was moderated.

former_member182378
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

bruno,

Addressing a "fundamental" point - why are you researching on Enhancements? Instead if you take SAP standard functionalities in a particular module that would benefit you mode, later in your SAP career.

Enhancements are much to do with ABAPer or technical consultant and a Functional analyst does not play a major role. Further, enhancements are company specific.

Things do depend upon your goals.

TW

Former Member
0 Kudos

I thought reasearching about a technical question (ABAP) would be the best option for me right now because i'm working as an Abap developer for the next year.

As i need to finish my master in the next 7/8 months i guess picking a problem like Enhancements would be benefic for my carrer in short term as doing my reasearch will help me in my daily job too (when i get contact with BADI, user-exit, etc).

I don't know. I'm new to SAP, so i need to learn everything fast and i don't have much time for reasearching about something completely different from what i would be doing on my working day.

Would you suggest any technical topic instead of this? I thought Enhancements would be a great topic taking in account all my limitations right now.

By the way, thanks for the feedback!

Former Member
0 Kudos

thanks mates! i guess i will have to focus on 'how' the enhancements could help a company and pick some cases at my company where i can talk about that...

i guess that there are not any proper official documentation by SAP about this topic. it would be great if i could picture the sap enhancements in a time scale, where i could talk on why sap created them (and when) and talk about the improvements that SAP is adding to this...

former_member182378
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

bruno,

For timeline etc. search the internet, if you have any contacts in SAP, then you could request them.

For consultants and companies, the most important is the use and benefit of Enhancements. (in comparison to history)

TW

Former Member
0 Kudos

I can certainly think of a lot of reasons that it makes sense, but I don't know who one would ask for the official logic.

Neal