Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HANA SP9 Installation Issue

paschmann
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I am currently trying to upgrade my SPS08 HANA instance to SPS09. The installation process fails during the step of "Starting SAP HANA Database" with the text: FAIL: Process hdbindexserver HDB Indexserver not running. (As shown below).

I have tried installing from a clean SLES 11.3 SAP Image as well as doing a upgrade with the same results each time (I also tried from a standard SLES 11.3 OS image, and subsequently as a SLES 12 OS all giving the same result). I have upgraded the Libgcc_s1 and Libstdc++ components as required by the installer.

I have also checked though the index server trace file but nothing pops out around the crash.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Paul

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

0 Kudos

This is for the benefit of anyone wanting to download gcc47-runtime.zip which contains the packages:

libgcc_s1-4.7.2_20130108-0.17.2.x86_64.rpm

libstdc++6-4.7.2_20130108-0.17.2.x86_64.rpm

I've requested SAP attach gcc47-runtime.zip to SAP note 2001528, but until then, you can download the file here:

gcc47-runtime.zip

Alternatively, download the attached file and rename the file 'gcc47-runtime.zip'.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks so much for the .zip Nicholas !!!

0 Kudos

You're welcome. Glad to be of assistance . I had to raise a SAP incident to get the zip file as it is no longer available on the SUSE website.

yakoair1
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hello and thank you for the zip file,  how do I install the packages, when I try to export to yast it says that a superuser cannot run the package

can you please help me?

KR

Gabriela

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

paschmann
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Just to add some context - here is the trace file contents:

n_vorstermans2
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Paul,

Facing the exact same issue by upgrading from Rev83 to Rev91. Did you overcome the issue?

Logs are anything but helpful on this error.

Regards,

Nick

srinivasan_vinayagam
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Vorstermans,

Check HANA DB is running or not.

if not running paste the log.

Regards,

V Srinivasan

n_vorstermans2
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi,

During the upgrade the system crashes when trying to start the system, just like Paul mentioned above.

Manually trying to start will bring the same issue.

Regards,

Nick

paschmann
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Nick,

I have not revisited the issue since it occurred hoping for some other insight and having wasted a lot of time on the issue.

Out of curiosity, what hardware are you doing the install on? (I am using a Dell 2950 2 x Xeon E5345 2.33Ghz, 32GB RAM) - which ran <= SPS08 fine.

EDIT: Which release are you using? 1.00.90 or 1.00.91?

Cheers, Paul

n_vorstermans2
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Paul,

Feel your pain on wasting an enormous amount of time!

My machine is an actual HANA blade (slightly aged): Xeon X7560 @ 2.27GHZ, 256GB. For me SP08 was running fine on rev 83 after coming from 74.04. Did my upgrade directly to 91 for this environment.

Regards,

Nick

paschmann
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Nick,

I seem to have resolved my own issue and was able to successfully install SPS09 today. I downloaded the latest release of the software (91) from the marketplace in case I had a corrupt copy.

I am not 100% sure what was different so below are a few steps which I completed differently to my previous failed attempts:

1.) I used Yast and check that all these components were installed and at the correct/relevant rev levels. I noticed a couple were not installed and added them (with the exception of bing).

List of required packages, not included in SLES 11 base-pattern (can be found in note: 1944799)

• gtk2 (use the version provided with the operating system distribution)
  • java-1_6_0-ibm (use the version provided with the operating system distribution, necessary for the SAP HANA studio on the SAP HANA system)
  • libicu (use the version provided with the operating system distribution)
  • mozilla-xulrunner192-1.9.2.xx-x.x.x (use the version provided with the operating system, but at the given minimum version)
  • ntp
  • sudo
  • syslog-ng (use the version provided with the operating system distribution)
  • tcsh
  • libssh2-1
  • expect
  • autoyast2-installation
  • yast2-ncurses
  • bing (a point-to-point bandwidth measurement tool, needed for supportability)
  • bonnie (file system benchmark, needed for supportability)
  • cairo (vector graphics library, needed for supportability)
  • findutils-locate (tool for locating files, needed for supportability)
  • graphviz (graph visualization tools, needed for supportability)
  • iptraf (TCP/IP network monitor, needed for supportability)
  • krb5-32bit (MIT Kerberos5 implementation-libraries, needed for supportability)
  • krb5-client (MIT Kerberos5 implementation-client programs, needed for supportability)
  • nfs-client (support utilities for NFS, needed for supportability)
  • sensors (hardware health monitoring for Linux, needed for supportability)
  • libgcc_s1-4.7.2_20130108-0.17.2
  • libstdc++6-4.7.2_20130108-0.17.2

2.) I reinstalled java from the included SAP SLES media (/suse/x86_64)

rpm -i --nodeps java-1_6_0-ibm-*

3.) I checked the hosts file and ensured the fqdn was being returned when calling hostname and hostname -f

I hope this helps you resolve your issue. Please let me know either way

Cheers, Paul

n_vorstermans2
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your feedback. Took me a while to respond as my server went off the grid and took a while to be brought back to live. I managed however to overcome the issue and successfully upgrade to Revision 92.

Some of the steps that I have taken to bring the box back to live:

• I was also checking the note you supplied above, but my versions were up-to-date except for Mozilla-xulrunner, which I upgraded to version 192.2.26.0.3.1
  • Ran the IBM report (1661146 - Lenovo/IBM Check Tool for SAP HANA appliances)
    • This showed an issue with the GPFS versions
  • Upgraded GPFS to 3.4.0.23
    • The upgrades made the box crash and disappear from the network. After the box came online restored and repaired the mounts, as they were initially whipped and appeared empty.
  • Now I was back online with the state back to an incomplete 91 revision upgrade.
  • I deleted the .hdbupdate file as it locked the upgrade to rev92.
  • Started a 92 upgrade via hdblcm, which failed again during the system start as the daemon couldn't be started.
  • Took a backup of all the ini files and deleted the deamon.ini (/usr/sap/<SID>/HDB<instance>/<hostname> and /usr/sap/<SID>/SYS/global/hdb/custom/config
  • Ran the python script for RecoverSys.py
  • Restored the last taken backup successfully where all the server finally came back online.
  • Continued the upgrade again, but now via hdbupd, which showed a new issue with the WebDispatcher. I took the original values from my ini file and placed them back for the webdispatcher
  • Finished the revision upgrade via hdbupd succesfully to Revision 92.

Regards,

Nick

Former Member
0 Kudos

Paul,

We're on SUSE 11.3 and alos get the same issue with libgcc_s1 and libstdc++6.  I tried installing libgcc_s1 and libstdc++6 using zypper and get this:

zypper install libgcc_s1 libstdc++6

Loading repository data...

Reading installed packages...

'libstdc++6' is already installed.

No update candidate for 'libstdc++6-4.7.2_20130108-0.15.45.x86_64'. The highest available version is already installed.

'libgcc_s1' is already installed.

No update candidate for 'libgcc_s1-4.7.2_20130108-0.15.45.x86_64'. The highest available version is already installed.

Resolving package dependencies...

Nothing to do.

How were you able to get the correct libgcc_s1 and libstdc++6 versions installed?

I tried clicking on the links directly in the note.  After I created my account it says I'm unauthorized to download anything.  Did you have to add any new repos to get these versions?  I added the 11.3 EOL repo, thats the only one I have enabled.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

paschmann
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello Ian,

If I recall correctly, I was able to add a find a unoffical Suse repo, downloaded the compoenents to desktop, then added the folder to my yast installer which then updated the 2 components to the correct revision.

Cheers, Paul

srinivasan_vinayagam
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Paul,

This seems like memory issue.

You can start manually and continue the installation.

hdbadm user

shell >> HDB start

Regards,

V Srinivasan

paschmann
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi V, Thanks for the suggestion - I did consider and try this. But trying to start the instance manually gives the same error as during the install.