cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the difference between Standalone and Third party TS/BS?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

Can anyone tell me what is the exact difference between Standalone and Third Party TS/BS?

Where and what case we use it with an example.

Because my client is asking me why I cannot use Standalone TS/BS.

I have searched many blogs and discussions for the same but couldn't find any logical answer.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Prachi

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member

Hi Prachi,

Hope u r reffering to Types of technical systems..

Webas abap – abap or r/3 related systems or servers

Webas java – java related systems ( webbased servers)

Standalone – These are also java related systems or servers, which are like our computers(standalone)

Third party – neither java nor abap servers

Thanks

Satish

Former Member
0 Kudos

Prachi,

I believe you are talking about standalone server!

Third-party is a technical systems which contains third-party software components and products in say CRM server(example). Just like AS ABAP, AS Java, etc.

Now talking about standalone server, as the word itself describes standalone, its a separate process running on different machine. If you consider standalone enqueue server, that is used in SAP systems like AS java sustem, AS ABAP system.

I hope this helps to reduce the confusion.

Regards,

shaunak

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

If your client is asking this, why don't you give them an honest answer that you don't know?  If someone on here answers for you, very quickly you will be into a discussion with your client that you aren't equipped for, with lots more unanswered questions reducing your credibility.  Surely it is better to admit to not knowing the answer for 1 question, rather than getting 10 completely wrong?

Cheers,

G.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gareth,

Its not about being dishonest with my client.... rather about finding the RIGHT answer.

Thank you.

Regards,

Prachi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Prachi,

I'm not questioning your honesty, rather pointing out that depending on a single answer/document here on SCN isn't always going to the right way forward.  Stating you don't know the answer up front could possibly avoid further headaches.  Alternatively ask them to explain why they have this requirement and what the justification/reasoning is - maybe you'll help answer your own questions that way too.

Cheers,

G.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I agree with your point.. I had discussion with my client also... but the question personally interested me... that's why I'm searching for an answer.

Thank you

Regards,

Parchi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Prachi,

Standalone  technical systems are standalone  applications that are installed in a computer system from an administration perspective. They can also be installed as an operating system service or as a daemon(A computer program running in background).

Standalone is not part and comes separate from the netWeaver.

Third party  sytem

It can be any of the  sytem. let us say if you want to send a file to R/3, here the file reside in your local system. for that you can define your local system as a third party technical system.

All those machines that comes under non sap, belongs to the third party.

@Gareth, I dont agree with your comments. It doesnt make sense to say that "you dont know the answer". Being Moderator yourself, I dont think you made right comments.

Regards,

Amar

Former Member
0 Kudos

amarnath kashinath wrote:

@Gareth, I dont agree with your comments. It doesnt make sense to say that "you dont know the answer". Being Moderator yourself, I dont think you made right comments.

If you don't know the answer, surely the ONLY thing that makes sense is to say that, otherwise you are misleading your customer and potentially getting into an awkward situation in the near future?  Or if you don't know the answer you tell your customer you do?!  I wonder how many customers would be interested to know their employees, partners, contractors, etc. are claiming to have knowledge and understanding but are just posting for help on SCN at every complex point that they don't personally understand?

Maybe I'm wrong but if I get asked a question that I can't answer, I don't pretend I know the answer.  I may offer to find out the answer, or connect with someone who does know the answer or work with the customer to understand what has prompted the question and whether there is an alternative approach but what I don't do is claim to know the answer, then hope I can find something on the internet.

You may get away with frantic internet research a number of times but sooner or later you will be in a position where you claim to know an answer but don't have time to find out what it actually is and then you are in an awkward situation.  This could be avoided at the outset if you acknowledge you don't know the answer but will find out.

It's about managing expectations and building trust with customers.  It bemuses me why so many people think saying "I don't know" is a weakness when often, it is the most honest and appropriate answer...

former_member182421
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I agree with  Gareth and I would like to add my 2c:

-"Hi guys, I would like to have a gun"

- "Here's my licence buy one"

I believe you should ask first "Why do you want a gun?" you can get very surprised of the answer, "to change the tv channel", "to kill my dog", "my son wants a gun"  etc. I know the example is quite dramatic, but be a responsible member means that, not just answer questions, "hey what do you want to accomplish?" "are you sure this is the right path?"  Then happens when you start a new project and you face the horror circus, "We did this because a forum guy told us so" OP has his responsibilities but the people who answers too, and I would say bigger responsibilities, a big power, big responsibility, don't forget about that spider-man

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gareth

I think you took it wrongly, I didn't know the answer that's why I posted here to know the answer not to fool my client and You judged me too quickly(I am sure that we didn't communicate personally where I told you about pretending in front of client and stuff). At some point of time you also didn't know the answer of this question or some other question and today also there are many questions which you still don't know and if you are asking that doesn't mean you are fooling your client. My parents always told me that sharing knowledge always multiply it many times.Your negative remarks may stop other beginners to ask any question on this forum in future. I hope that you will act more responsible and will be more positive in your response next time.

“Judgment is a negative frequency.”

Stephen Richards

Thanks for your effort and time!!

former_member182421
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
Because my client is asking me why I cannot use Standalone TS/BS.

I believe this sentence is highly misunderstandable...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Prachi,

My previous replies are not directed at you, however the conversation has got a bit mixed up here with your original question and the other answers.  I know you are trying to find the answer to the question...

Having said that, the point I am making isn't about whether you know or don't know the answer - the point is that if you don't you make sure the customer knows that and you figure out together how to move forward.  Amar has suggested admitting you don't know the answer doesn't make sense, which I've questioned in my reply to him.  I'd say that was a pretty responsible approach and lots of beginners would benefit a lot from heeding the advice.

Of course, there's no guarantee I'm right as this is all just my opinion so please feel free to disagree with it but please don't think I was judging you at all - I was simply sharing my opinion on what is an all too common scenario in our industry.

Cheers,

G.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Gareth,

Sorry to say that I m quite surprised to know that you are a moderator. Why is it that you are making so much fuss about a straight forward question. I hope this is a forum for discussion on the subjects related to PI. People who dont know the answers would try to find through various experienced people. if your argument is that she should have said to her client that she doesn't  know it and would try to find it. I think she is trying to find one through this forum, you are within your right to say that if this question is simple and she could find it easily by googling but  here she is saying that she has already searched and couldn't find any concrete answer. That is the reason why she has choosen to post it here. Your comments and follow up responses are quite  brazenly negative , irresponsible and would discourage people from posting questions.

I m sorry to say so but i want you to know how i m feeling from your comments.

Regards,

Amar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Amar,

IMHO the whole point of moderators is that we make a fuss of as much content as we possibly can - if we just ignore straight forward questions, there isn't a lot of point in having moderators here on SCN.  Also, I wasn't making a fuss about the question, I was offering advice about the situation the OP may or may not have been in, based on my experiences.

It is also important to point out I'm not a moderator of this space, I was simply adding my opinion from years of working as an SAP consultant to try and help the OP and anyone else who reads this thread.

I think this discussion is getting a bit mixed up.  Here is how I see the discussion and why I've said what I've said:

• OP states they have been asked a question by their client and is looking for explanation on SCN...  We see this situation over and over and whilst I'm not suggesting this is the situation the OP is in, often people are in a job they don't know much about and depend upon SCN to get by.  This is bad for EVERYONE in the industry for many reasons, hence me offering suggestions on how to move forward when in this situation, with advice on how to work as a consultant.  Others reading this thread may hopefully find this advice useful in future.
  • At no point do I say it is a simple question and could be answered by Google'ing.  However, if that is the case then posting it to SCN isn't necessarily the right course of action is it?
  • My argument (probably too a strong a word but anyway) is really about being open with customers about knowledge and understanding.  You clearly stated "It doesnt make sense to say that 'you dont know the answer'" which as per my understanding suggests you don't want to tell your customer you don't know the answer.  My posts here were recommending that you should always be open with customers when you don't 100% know about a topic.
  • I'm not sure how you interpret my advice of being honest, open and genuine with a customer to be irresponsible or negative.  Sometimes people just don't want to hear advice they don't agree with but that isn't going to stop me from sharing it!  The fact is, many people come to SCN assuming and/or expecting it will help them do their job, when that is not really in the spirit of the community.  My advice here was to try and help people find a way to help themselves for the future.

In summary, its unfortunate you feel the way you do about my posts on this thread however I stand by the advice I posted and it is up to the reader to decide whether to accept it or not.  I'd be very interested to understand your advice on how to handle customers when you don't know the answer to a question, and how best to move forward?

Cheers,

G.

Former Member

Hello Gareth,

As a PI consultant, you are expected to know the answer for the above question. I dont agree with you when you say that she should have said to her client that she doesnt know the answer, it itself doesnt qualify to say that you work in PI. In no way I'm suggesting that you are supposed to know everything in PI. There is nothing wrong to have some idea before hand on the topics that you are not familar through this forum. I have a problem when you say that not to post the question and instead say it to the client that you dont know the same.

Look, we can go on and on , I m sure you may not agree with me, however we can agree to disagree and close this. At the end of day,I do feel that it is not serving anyone's purpose.

Regards,

Amar