cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Input field max length problem

Former Member
0 Kudos

My WDA input fields let me enter values that are too long for the given data type.

Example:

- I have an input field for entering a "City". The data element for the corresponding context attribute is SAP standard PAD_ORT01 (type CHAR length 40).

- When I enter a value into the input field, it lets me enter 44 characters.

- After I click any button, I will get the error message "Entry is too long" and the input field is highlighted (which is basically right, but...)

Now the question is that why does it let me enter more than 40 characters at the first place? As far as I remember this has not been working like this before, or has it? 

We are on 7.31 SP4. Right now I am also looking at another system (7.31 SP10), and it seems that there this is working differently: I can only enter 40 characters, and then no more characters appear on the input field no matter how hard I hit my keyboard. This probably means that there might be an OSS note to fix/change this, but at least I am not able to locate it.

Kind regards,

Karri

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

ramakrishnappa
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Karri,

Is it the same behavior for other input fields as well ?

Please check the below snote

1883430 - Pasted text exceeds length limit of input fields

Regards,

Rama

Former Member
0 Kudos

This same problem appear for other input fields too (at least other character type fields). Phone number field is at least one of those.

I actually already checked the really promising note you mentioned but as far as I understand correctly, it is meant for Web Dynpro Java. The description of the note mentions to check the related note section for a corresponding ABAP note, but I don't see any related notes? I bet that there is a note, but it is one of those "impossible to find with sensible key words", or it is somehow hidden or whatever.

Kind regards,

Karri

ramakrishnappa
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Karri,

Please check if these lines from snote are relevant to your system release

NW 7.20 and above

The patch is included in the AJAX-RUNTIME.SCA. We recommend to install the newest available patch level of the FRAMEWORK.sca and WD-RUNTIME.sca. Deploy the sca’s directly using SUM. You can find its documentation in the SAP Service Marketplace at: http://service.sap.com/sltoolset -> Software Logistics Toolset (latest version) -> Software Update Manager (SUM). In addition, to avoid breaking dependencies between the rest of the Java core components, it is also advisable to patch the components mentioned in SAP KBA 1794179.

Regards,

Rama

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Aren't those patches for Web Dynpro Java? This is not one of my core competencies, but I would assume that installing some patches to the Java Stack will not fix a problem in Web Dynpro ABAP framework?

Kind regards,

Karri

ramakrishnappa
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Karri,

Yes, you are right, the note doesn't have any WDA specific correction info.

I could not able to locate the right note for specific case.

But I would suggest either upgrade SP level of your server or you might need to implement the notes with text "Corrections for unified rendering up to SAP_BASIS 731/04".

Regards,

Rama

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks, I've been looking into those notes about corrections for unified rendering. I guess the fix might be in those. I just don't like the fact, that this error has not been mentioned in any of the notes. I might end up installing them and find out that the problem was elsewhere. Upgrading the SP is not an option at the moment.

Regards,

Karri