cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HANA Downloads Massively Smaller in SPS09?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Heya,

Interesting - HANA seems to have been repackaged to be much smaller! Apart from Studio which just grew 2x. Does anyone know what happened? My guess is they have changed the packaging used so it just does a delta?

RevisionDatabaseAFLStudio
11 (SPS2)1.7GBN/A120MB
20 (SPS3)1.7GBN/A160MB
28 (SPS4)2.1GBN/A270MB
58 (SPS5)2.8GB85MB270MB
60 (SPS6)3.0GB350MB270MB
70 (SPS7)3.6GB380GB285MB
80 (SPS8)4.8GB410GB325MB
90 (SPS9)2.2GB43GB605MB

Thanks!

John

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

0 Kudos

I also noticed this and posted about it here.

Some packages have been removed from the DVD, like River; and others have been added.

But the main difference is really the database and BIN.TGZ, like Hay mentioned.

I also noticed that the GCC 4.7 install is now mandatory, so maybe it was really a change in compiler options and/or cleanup of legacy code?

EDIT: also, HANA Studio now includes Answers, so that might explain the size increase.

HayBouten
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi John, There are in the AFL column some typo's 380GB, 410GB and 43GB. I guess you mean MB.

SAP HANA is indeed as you say repackaged. SAP calls this Options on top of the SAP HANA Platform. In my blog "What's New in the SAP HANA SPS09" I have explained this a little bit, but I don't think that is the origin of the smaller size.

On the SAP HANA the BIN.TGZ got some 2.8GB smaller. It looks like almost all executables got smaller, so with the enforced new GCC 4.7 this could improve the size. Also maybe a change in compiler options or a switch between static linking and dynamic linking?

As I'm not in SAP HANA development this is just a good guess.