cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is difference between SAP UI5 & SAP Web dynpro ABAP?

0 Kudos

Hello,

Myself SAP web dynpro abap consultant, But now a days I am hearing about SAP UI5 technology. I don't have idea about it. Is this competitor or additional value to web dynpro abap.

I would like to pass some light on SAP UI5 where learn this or not. And is there any additional advantage by learning this beging a web dynpro abap consultant.

Thanks,

Shabeer Ahmed.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (8)

Answers (8)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

SAP ABAP WebDynpro is a ABAP based framework developed by SAP that lets you write MVC based applications that are then deployed in SAP portal or can be accessed via browser. SO basically ABAP based web development where a lot of code is generated by the framework for making it web enabled. You need to be an ABAP er and know the SAP systems very well to do that.

Now SAP wants to make the ERP, CRM and all suites open so that the functions and data can be accessed by even non SAP developers and they can build great applications. SO they came out with SAP Net weaver Gateway that supports ODATA. But then SAP also realized that more and more people access apps and contents on mobile and tablet and this trend has exploded in last 4-5 years.

What is the standard for such mobile app development it is HTML and Java Script and SAP came out with it's own flavor of a future UI technology built on HTML5 and Java Script that they call the SAP UI5. It allows easy development of apps that run on any screen using simple technologies. So you can create an entirely new SAP UX by putting a UI5 app for the ERP system exposing data via ODATA or on top of a HANA app again exposing data via ODATA.

Regards,

Prasenjit

ChrisSolomon
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

be careful...you responded to a 2 year old post.....zombies rising from the grave!!!!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Christopher,  sorry i didn't see the date. So it was a mistake ☺.

Thanks,

Prasenjit

ChrisSolomon
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I do it all the time too.

kyo_choi2
Participant
0 Kudos

I believe it will replace the ABAP Webdynpro, BSP, WebUI and ABAP Dialog programs all together.  Fiori and UI5 Apps are so power now it even does ALV function along with once written runs everywhere.  UI technology changes so fast and why not for the SAP?  I wouldn't be surprised if next version of ECC or CRM front end is all Fiori apps.

once written runs everywhere......

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ahmed,

SAPUI5 is a replacement for WebDynpro when it is concerned to web based frontend development. UI5 is a JavaScript UI Library. UI5 lets you build enterprise-ready web applications, responsive to all devices, running on almost any browser of your choice. It’s based on JavaScript, using JQuery as its foundation and follows web standards. It eases your development with a client-side HTML5 rendering library including a rich set of controls and supports data binding to different models (JSON, XML and OData) With respect to END user you may quite true. But for a developer WebDynpro and UI5 are two different UI technologies.

Disadvantages of WebDynpro:

HTML generated by WebDynpro is neither semantic nor readily readable: many UI layout elements are combinations of deeply nested tables, divs, and spans. For example, rather than utilizing a fieldset (two elements including legend) for the Group UI element, WD recreates it with two spans surrounding a two row table with further spans, a div, and a wbr for a total of 13 elements. But in SAPUI5 the new elements created in a readable format. So the use and the advantages of the each elements can be used effectively.

To develop WebDynpro ABAP knowledge is must but in SAPUI5 with the knowledge of HTML5 and JavaScript the entire application can be created with less complexity.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Actually SAPUI5 is sap own user interface for mobile technology which means FIORI.

WebDynpro is internet application which means we can share our report and any development to any browser(HTTP client).and It is also advanced to BSP application which means it has input design .We can use all input element by drag and drop.In BSP we need to write externally by using html.

joao_sousa2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Since S4/HANA has a UI that is SAPUI5 based, I would say it's a clear competitor to Webdynpro ABAP since it is replacing it as the "new" UI framework.

It's completly different, starting with the language which is mostly Javascript (with ABAP on the backend to provide data).

SAPUI5 performance, since it's client side, it's much greater then WDA which to me has always been too slow. Of course WDA is easier to use, ABAP is typed, and the development tools are "better".

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello shabeer ahmed,

Actually sapui5 is client side technology and webdynpro is serverside technology.

AP gives us a hint with a table in the Appendix of the User Interfaces Roadmap 2013, where a comparison of Classic Dynpro, Web Dynpro ABAP, and SAPUI5 technologies is made.  Here is what we see ...

UI TechnologySkills Required (per SAP UI Roadmap)
Dynpro

ABAP & Dynpro

Web Dynpro ABAPABAP OO, Web Dynpro ABAP, Floorplan Manager
SAPUI5Javascript, HTML5, CSS3, Gateway, OData

ramakrishnappa
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

You can also refer to the below links

Regards,

Rama

Former Member