cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NLS in SQL Anywhere 16

Former Member
0 Kudos

I'm relatively new to SQL Anywhere, so my apologies in advance for any obvious questions.

I have a potential customer who is using an older version of SQL Anywhere, and wants to know about version 16 national language support (NLS).  They specifically asked about Chinese, Thai, and Vietnamese.

Referring to the product documentation here: http://dcx.sybase.com/index.html#sa160/en/dbadmin/language-locale-natlang.html

It appears that both traditional and simplified Chinese, along with Thai, are supported.

So, two questions:

1. Am I looking at the right place to understand the NLS in SQA?
  2. Is there any way to support Vietnamese?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Regards, Derek

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member329524
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hello, Derek

Not sure what you need here.

Do you need actual Utilities and system messages of SQL Anywhere in Vietnamese or just keeping the data in the tables in this language?

Because, pretty much any kind of data can be handled with UTF-16 default collation. We have customers who have data in more that 10 different languages (including Chineese and Russian) in a single DB.

If the previous version of their software was working on a different collation, then they will need to rebuild their DB (unload/reload) into a new DB with the new collation.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Arcady,

They were previously using version 10 of the product.  Just had a clarification from them - the question is around storing and working with Vietnamese text.  They do not require the product documentation, admin tools, etc. to be in Vietnamese.

So your response above confirms that they would be able to have an application which stores and retrieves (including select queries, etc.) Vietnamese text in the SQL Anywhere product... whether it is via the primary database, Ultralite, MobiLink, etc.?

Thanks, just trying to make sure there's no limitations around what they want to do.

Cheers!

former_member329524
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi, Derek

There is no reason I can think of why Vietnamese would not work if Chinese does.

However, if you want to be 100% sure, there is no better way than an actual test.

1. Create a new v16 DB. Make sure that default collation is UTF 16.

2. Take the existing v10 DB and unload it into the above v16 DB.

3. Try to view that data in the new DB.

If you see the data correctly, then you would have just made a scientific proof that the upgrade will work.

If you do not, then please, report it and we shall see where the problem is.

Answers (0)