cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP-on-i and SVC with IBM EasyTier, should JRNRCV be saved on Flash only (separate ASP)?

christoph_ostrop
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

SAP application running on IBM-i with ext. discs (SAN)

attached with SVC (SAN-Volume-Controller) and StorageSystems

(IBM StorwizeV5000 + IBM-Flash840 together in one StoragePool with EasyTier).

we heared about the advice of putting the DB-journal-receiver (*JRNRCV) in separate ASP to be sure to be located on Flash only?

is it recommended?

does EasyTier work well on IBM-i, because IBM-i is using/seeing all discs as one storage (single-storage)?

are these two concepts not even contradictory?

are there experiences or recommendations?

Christoph

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

RSchmerbauch
Participant
0 Kudos

When using SVC, all the LUNs look the same from the IBM i OS perspective. However, if EasyTier is doing what it is supposed to do, your IBM i workload should see a benefit.

EasyTier is managing data from the storage point of view - ideally putting the hot data on Flash and the cooler data on the V5000.   IBM i has no involvement in the decisions EasyTier is making out in the Storage system.  And EasyTier is not aware of the media preference attribute that can be set on DB2 files.

Adding another ASP would not really provide any added value as far as I can tell.  It would provide a logical separation of data from the IBM i perspective, but you are just giving the SVC a little more to think about as it spreads hot/cold data across all the same physical storage devices.

christoph_ostrop
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Ron,

thank you, that is corresponding to my thoughts

Christoph

Answers (0)