cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STMS configuration on IBM i series

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

We wanted to reconfigure STMS in order to meet the chaRM requirement.

Current STMS configuration

Dev & qa is on one LPAR .& Prod is on different Lpar. Distance Between DEV/QA & Prod is almost 500 miles.

We use FTP method at OS level to transfer respective cofile & datafile from dev/qa server to Prod server.We have two different domain controller.i.e two different trans directory on iseries.

Problem :

If we combine two trans directory to one then, there is drastic performance issue. In order to sync buffer from DEV/QA to PRD , it takes more than a 10 min for one TR.

We wanted to implement chaRM in our environment so in order to perform the same we would need first combine or have common domain & trans dir

DB : DB400

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Khouri
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Barai,

Please consider creating 2 local transport domain und link them together via "Domain link".

Check the details in  http://scn.sap.com/message/15530677#15530677

We are using the above set up and it is working fast and stable.

You might need maybe to cleanup your buffer (import queue).

In our case:

• DEV and QAS belong to the "transport domain DEV"  with local DIR_TRANS (DEV and QAS are on the same partition)
  • PRD belong to the "transportdomainPRD" with local DIR_TRANS
  • Transport from DEV to QAS is normal because both system are local.
  • Once a transport is imported into QAS the import queue of PRD shows that transports are ready to be transferred to PRD (cofile and data). The transfer is really very fast for normal transports and I assume that you can schedule a job for this purpose

For the set up via "Domain link" you need to secure that the STMS configuration is up to date on every domain controller!

Alternative you can also use different Transport Groups for the the local trans directories, it could be for the configuration point of view comfortable but we don't try this option.

I hope it helps you.

Best regards,

Hadi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Hadi,

Appreciate your response.

I have done exactly same configuration what you suggested but on domain where all the DEV/QA & Prd on same server for the PoC perspective.

Let me explain further.

1.     Currently , we are performing CHaRM PoC. We have created 4 System landscape ( all the 4 system are sandbox basically) DEV(Ecc)->QAS->PRE-Prod->Prod

2.     I have created "domain link" between the Dev Solman to ECC Dev

3.     All the system are in same server so it's fast. but really need to check if this can really break the ice

Thank You . Will revert Further

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member188883
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Barai,

Problem :

If we combine two trans directory to one then, there is drasctic performance issue. In order to sync buffer from DEV/QA to PRD , it takes more than a 10 min for one TR.

You may need to improve network bandwidth and configure STMS. For Implementation of CHARM you need to have proper trans directory configured without manual intervention.

Regards,

Deepak Kori

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Deepak,

Thank you for your quick reply. We already have 2 GB Dedicated Circuit between the location. I understand bandwidth can solve purpose upto certain level but it's investment.

Wondering if any thing else can be configured which can trigger co file & data file copy automatically or things are track in chaRM also. Out-of-the-box !!!

former_member188883
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Barai,

Wondering if any thing else can be configured which can trigger co file & data file copy automatically or things are track in chaRM also. Out-of-the-box !!!

Possible work around :

1) Make a practise to perform transports during late evening

2) Create a shell script which shall do FTP from non-PRD to PRD post business hours for eg 6 PM

3) Perform transports after 8 PM.

Regards,

Deepak Kori

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Deepak,

Thank you for the reply.

Same practise we are following but not sure how CHaRM can track this things. It will all the time try to read the buffer file & identify the status of the TR which it self will take ages to complete.

former_member188883
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Barai,

CHARM has option to import the Transports manually. You may use them rather than automatic import from CHARM.

Regards,

Deepak Kori