Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP MDG - Integration Approach

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi friends,

I wanted to start this topic as a debate/analysis perse,

we want to analyse,

what is the best Integration Approach for MDG HUB in SAP landscape?

Option1: Integrating MDG HUB directly with other systems[ECC, CRM, SRM, SCM, etc].

Option2: MDG HUB feeding all master data to ECC & ECC distributing directly to other systems[ECC, CRM, SRM, SCM, etc]

please share your experiences/understandings with reasonings. Thx.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

One thing for sure; there is no best option. Everybody has their own constraint and factors that derive this decision. There are a few things to consider here:

• Is there an already established interface between the existing ECC and the other target systems?
  • What is the system of truth in the eyes of those target system? Is it going to be the new MDG hub or is it the established ECC system?
  • Do you need to send data other than master data to those target systems?
  • Is the whole landscape new? Do you even really want to implement MDG on a hub instead of co-deploying it on the existing ECC instance?
  • Is data distribution to those target systems a point-to-point or through a middleware or PI? Is the MDG hub already familiar with the middleware or is there extra effort needed?

Based on those answers (and the many others that I didn't ask), each implementation can decide what is the best approach. Again, the list above is just a sample of what should be asked to reach a decision.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi San

Please refer SAP recommdation from System Landscape Recommendations for SAP Master Data ...

and decide best apporach as per your requirement

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sanjay,

Thank you for the link.

SAP Recommendation document mostly talks about Deployment/Database Architecture topics.

it mentions less on MDG Integration Approach options.

please let me know, if there is any other SAP recommendation document providing insight on MDG Integration details. Thx.

former_member206605
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello San

That is the only document available on SCN as of now....But what I can suggest is if you have multiple system to replicate the data then better use MDG HUB approach...

Kiran

former_member206605
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello San

The best approach would be MDG implemented as HUB. Govern master data in MDG and later on transfer to any system from MDG.

Kiran

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you Abdullah & Kiran for your inputs,

Below is our situation with respect to Abdullah's questions,

• Is there an already established interface between the existing ECC and the other target systems?

Ans: There are some scattered existing systems & interfaces. BUT, for the sake of simplicity, we want to assume, this as brand new landscape with MDG HUB &  few other new systems like ECC, SRM, CRM , etc.

• What is the system of truth in the eyes of those target system? Is it going to be the new MDG hub or is it the established ECC system?

Ans: New MDG HUB & new ECC.

• Do you need to send data other than master data to those target systems?

Ans: Non-Master data would be handled using ECC.

• Is the whole landscape new? Do you even really want to implement MDG on a hub instead of co-deploying it on the existing ECC instance?

Ans: Lets go with whole landscape as new. we want to implement MDG on HUB.

• Is data distribution to those target systems a point-to-point or through a middleware or PI? Is the MDG hub already familiar with the middleware or is there extra effort needed?

Ans: mostly it would be point-to-point using out of box functionalities.

@Kiran,

i am in bit confusion, if you considered my second option

"Option2: MDG HUB feeding all master data to ECC & ECC distributing directly to other systems[ECC, CRM, SRM, SCM, etc]". before recommending. pls confirm.

@both,

we are mostly tilting towards  MDG HUB distributing data directly to all SAP & Non-SAP systems.

But, we want to get good justification & want to make sure, it is the best practice across market in a similar situation of ours.

Please provide your thoughts accordingly.

Also, please provide few pros & cons for both the options, from integration persepective. Thx for all the help.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I disagree with you saying "the best approach is...". You can't have a one-size-fit-all approach with these projects. Every implementation is different and every MDG consultant has to weigh in all the different questions and make a decision that works for each specific instance.

former_member206605
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello San

Answer to your question -

"Option2: MDG HUB feeding all master data to ECC & ECC distributing directly to other systems[ECC, CRM, SRM, SCM, etc]". before recommending. pls confirm.  - If you are implementing MDG as HUB then you can distribute the master data from MDG itself. No need to distribute it from ECC.

Also as mention by Abdullah, both approaches are best but it depends upon the system architecture.

Kiran