cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

feature not supported: SQLSTATE: HY000

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

we are currently exploring possibilities to to backup and recovery on the command line without using HANA Studio. Unfortunenatly there seems to be a mismatch between the admin documentation and what's currently implemented. See:

vhana04:HDB:vh1adm /usr/sap/VH1/HDB00 67> hdbsql -u system -p manager -i 00 "BACKUP CHECK ACCESS BACKUP_ID 1363355380452"

* 7: feature not supported:  SQLSTATE: HY000

vhana04:HDB:vh1adm /usr/sap/VH1/HDB00 68> hdbsql -u system -p manager -i 00 "BACKUP LIST DATA UNTIL TIMESTAMP '2013-03-15 14:49:00'"

* 7: feature not supported:  SQLSTATE: HY000

vhana04:HDB:vh1adm /usr/sap/VH1/HDB00 51> hdbsql -u system -p manager -i 00 "RECOVER DATABASE UNTIL TIMESTAMP '2013-03-15 14:49:00' USING BACKUP_ID 1363355380452 CHECK ACCESS"

* 7: feature not supported: Can't recover in online mode SQLSTATE: HY000

Will BACKUP CHECK/LIST be working when the DB is in offline mode? I wasn't able to determine how to get the DB into offline mode but while searching for some hints I came across a posting here that mentions "recoverSys.py" and this seems quite promising. Is that used by the HANA Studio when it does a recovery?

Kind regards

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

swapan_saha
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hello,

Even though you posted your message under HANA One Community, I see your are posting from a different landscape.

Please provide the following information.

1. How is your HANA server deployed? Options are On-premise (appliance) or cloud. In cloud you can have HANA dev edition at multiple clouds or SAP HANA One which is SAP's HANA in public cloud starting with AWS. Please provide you deployment landscape info.

2.  What version of HANA server and HANA studio you are using?

Regards,

Swapan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

you are right - it's not a HANA One but should that differ for such a basic functionality? Is there another platform to ask?

We are currently using appliances and also virtualized systems with R52 for testing purposes.

The most interesting information I coul not locate is how do I get the DB into offline mode?

Kind regards

swapan_saha
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hello,

Thank you very much for clarifying that the issue is not in Hana One.

It means you have options to get direct support for your appliance on the top of this community which is to exchange and share Hana knowledge publicly. While we are looking this issue, you may consider to report using the direct SAP support channel.

Please mention Hana version in all questions for both cloud and appliances. You are right, cloud provides exactly the same software of the appliance, if the version is the same. For Hana One, released versions are so far: SPS4 Rev 38 and SPS5 Rev 48.

There are few minor network related changes in cloud and in appliance. Hence, we ask whether you are using Hana One or appliance unless the messages do have the information.

Regards,

Swapan

torsten_strahl
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Hi,

Let’s come back to your initial question about command line support for recovery purpose. SAP HANA documentation is clear about that. In chapter 13.14.5 of the admin guide you will find the following note:

Note: To recover a SAP HANA database, it is strongly recommended that you use SAP HANA studio. Statements for recovery cannot be executed using the normal SQL clients and should only be used in exceptional circumstances.

So the explained syntax is valid but cannot be executed using a normal SQL client and cannot be executed when the SAP HANA database is in operational state ONLNE. The script you found is the one that is called by the SAP HANA Studio. You are free to choose the recovery statements according to the SQL syntax. You shall not use BACKUP CHECK ACCESS and BACKUP LIST because the result handling is quite difficult. Anyway using the script is not supported by SAP and on your own risk.  SAP will not guarantee that the script will be maintained and compatible to future revisions of SAP HANA database.

Have in mind that SAP will provide a command line tool for SAP HANA database but I cannot give you a scheduled delivery date.

Kind regards,
Torsten

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the clarification. Even though BACKUP CHECK ACCESS and BACKUP LIST handling may be difficult we think it's quite useful. So the information how to get the DB in offline mode is still missing in the docs.

Kind regards