cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HANA SPS5 on AWS

Former Member
0 Kudos

Any updates on date/timeframe of making HANA SPS5 available on AWS?  And will it contain the text analysis capabilities introduced in SPS5?

Thanks.

Joe

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

swapan_saha
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi Joe,

Without providing any specifc date here, SAP HANA SPS5 is expected to be available as HANA One in days.

Regards,

Swapan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Swapan.  I completely understand that a specific date can't be committed to, but good to know that it is potentially coming soon.  After posting my colleague came across this blog entry as well.

Much appreciated.

Joe

former_member182500
Contributor
0 Kudos

Any update on SP05 AWS availability (with details on how to upgrade of course), as many await trialling of new features? Many thanks.

swapan_saha
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi Jon-Paul,

Please check this SAP HANA One community in a week ( or less) for an update on SPS5 availability of SAP HANA One.

Regards,

Swapan

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Any updates on the latest SPS (SPS 05) release for HANA One?

swapan_saha
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Yes, HANA 1.0 SPS5 Rev 48 is now available as SAP HANA One at AWS Marketplace. Please read and please make sure you review Access Key and Secret Key concept before you launch SPS5.

Thanks,

Swapan 

former_member182500
Contributor
0 Kudos

On 7th Feb deleted my old Hana instance, created a new instance on AWS, opened the ports for Hana Studio and lo-behold, logging in via Putty with HDBADM to check the revision number still get 1.00.38, as per below:

hanaserver:/usr/sap/HDB/HDB00> HDB version

HDB version info:

version:             1.00.38.368649

branch:              NewDB100_REL

git hash:            not set

git merge time:      not set

weekstone:           0000.00.0

compile date:        2012-10-02 21:55:36

compile host:        ldm053.server

compile type:        opt

I would expect revision 48 from an AWS instance created on 7th Feb?

swapan_saha
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi Jon-Paul,

It looks like you subscribed Rev 38. Please visit AWS Marketplace and you will  see Rev 48 is available. You have an option to select either 48 or 38 before you launch your SAP HANA One. Please be careful to review you selection before you launch.

Before you launch, please follow document carefully, as we introduced SAP HANA One Management Console which will eliminate to SSH to the instance to configure, start and download studios, etc. Please feel free to post your questions. If you have any problem after launching the instance, please stop the instance from EC2 Management Console and post your questions to control cost.

Regards,

Swapan

former_member182500
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Okay upgraded to Rev 48 no problems.

The AWS instance type for Rev 48 is cc2.8xlarge.  Believe this is a larger instance than required for Rev 38?  Understandable as I imagine the template has grown with the extended functionality.

I believe the per hour cost has increased due to the enlarged instance type, which implies those self-learning to bring that knowledge to the marketplace and clients need to apply extra duty of care when monitoring their AWS costs.  I hope the per hour AWS costs can be kept at minimum going forward with the maturing and expansion of the Hana appliance.

I also notice I have a total of 12 volumes totalling 560GB alllocated to the Rev 48 instance.  I only require a few GB of data content for proof of concepting and maturity/awareness projects.  Do I really need all these volumes or can I delete any to minimise costs?

Many thanks.

swapan_saha
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi Jon-Paul,

For HANA One Rev 38 and Rev 48, we used the same AWS instance type which is CC2.8xlarge. We intend to continue this instance type for future HANA One releases too. So, there is no change in # of core, Memory in between Rev 38 and Rev 48.

Now as far as storage is concerned in Rev 48, we listened our SAP HANA One customers feedback. Based on the feedback, SAP HANA One team reviewed them carefully. In Rev 48, PIOPS based storage for HANA log is replaced with cheaper standard EBS. It will reduce cost of storage almost 6 times. However, we did not change size of storage which is based on SAP recommendation on HANA application.

Unless you are an expert in AWS EBS and SAP HANA, we strongly recommend not to change any configuration of SAP HANA One file system.

Regards,

Swapan

former_member182500
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Swapan,

Many thanks for the reply, much aprpeciated.

I seem to remember instance size for last revision of instance I has was m2.xlarge, see here document posted by Juergen Schmerder which I followed to set up my original instance (very helpful document by the way, thanks).

http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-28294

Now the instance type is cc2.8xlarge.  Quite a difference in hourly cost I understand (although trying to understand the AWS usage report and convert that into cost is a black magic I have yet to master).  As far as volume usage is concerned I am unlikely to utilise more than 20% with static or transactional data for testing purposes.

With regard to "Sap recommendations on Hana application" my impression is that there exists 2 audiences for the AWS Hana appliance - those applying Hana for business and the developer / technical architect provisioning an AWS appliance for proof of concept, maturity awareness and self-learning.  It would seem evident with more learning materials coming into the public domain (the many blogs and Thomas Jung's great set of SP05 XS workshop videos as examples) SAP is keen to lift up the developer base enabling skilled resources to deploy this fabulous appliance.  Put this cost out of reach of most developers and you lose that inertia.

Thanks again,
Jon-Paul.

swapan_saha
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi Jon-Paul,

These are two different offerings. SAP HANA One is configured to run commercial and productive use cases with hourly pricing. SAP will continue to support both audiences, providing access to developers to learn HANA for non-productive and non-commercial basis.  When they graduate and they can use HANA One for productive and commercial uses with hourly pricing.

If you are not usng HANA One always, please stop and restart when you intend to use to make sure you control your cost.

For those who are new to SAP HANA One, please check out the current SAP HANA One promotion of USD 120 credit at AWS Marketplace Help.

Thanks,

Swapan