cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing SAPUI5 on Eclipse for HANA One on AWS

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I'm following the Thomas Jung video tutorials for SAP Hana XS, and have tried to install the SAPUI5 plugin into my Eclipse Indigo version. I notice that Thomas is on Juno, but as I got my HANA Studio from my AWS installation, I cannot easily change to a newer version (not sure how to "migrate" my Indigo plug-ins for HANA Studio to a newer Eclipse version).

I have two questions: 1: do I really have to manually install the SAPUI5 plugins into my AWS-provided Eclipse to do UI5 development, or are the necessary features already there? 2: If I have to install manually, can I do this on Indigo, or do I have to "migrate" to Juno (and if so, how?) I tried to install the plugins for UI5 into my Indigo version, but it now complains about missing prerequisites (some web-ui plugin, which I cannot identify or find, even when enabling the Indigo download page in my install preferences...)

This is a bit messy, but maybe a sign of where SAP is moving: away from the tried-and-tested all-in-one-box one-size-fits-all SE80, into the choppy and somewhat murky seas of Open Source 🙂

Regards,

Trond

PS: in order to get hold of the SAPUI5 IDE plugin, I had to download it from the SAP Marketplace. This, presumably, means that anyone without a valid (company) OSS user cannot get it...??? Is there a version out in the open somewhere?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

swapan_saha
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi Trond,

You message is not clear about your landscape which Thomas also mentioned above. SAP HANA One is only available at AWS as of today which is 99 cents/hr for HANA plus AWS infrastructure cost. Are you using SAP HANA One which is for productive and commercial purpose or SAP HANA Developer Edition which is free for HANA software?

If you use SAP HANA One, we recommend to use the same version of Studio (which Rev 48 as of now) with your HANA server.

By the way, for new HANA One customers:

PROMOTION- February 18- May 30, 2013 - AWS customers who are new to SAP Hana One on the AWS Marketplace will receive $120 of AWS Promotion Credit if they use at least 10 hours of SAP Hana One between February 18 and May 30, 2013. For AWS Marketplace customers who qualify, the Promotional credit will be sent to the email address registered to their AWS Marketplace account. Restrictions apply; see offer terms at https://aws.amazon.com/marketplace/help/201119060 for more details.

Thanks,

Swapan

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

Yes currently you do have to manually install the SAPUI5 plug-in into HANA Studio. Yes you do have to download from the SAP Service Marketplace or download from the SAP Developer Center on SCN. 

I don't know which version of HANA Studio you are getting in the AWS-provided Eclipse.  If you install into current SPS5 versions of SAP HANA Studio, then the Juno update site should work fine.  This is what I used in the video recording and what I've used even up until just this week for the latest builds of HANA Studio (even though that the Studio now runs on Eclipse 4.2 within our newest internal versions).

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Thomas,

I'm using the commercial HANA One version at 0.99c per hour (I believe it was the only option available when I signed up). This is SP05 (48), and I installed HANA Studio by downloading it from my own AWS HANA site - it turned out to be eclipse Indigo.

I then got the SAPUI5 development toolkit from the service marketplace, but it fails to install. In the install instructions, the product "Jetty - Core: servlets and webapps" is mentioned as a prerequisite, but I do not believe this is needed since Jetty is a web server. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Anyway, in your video you mention a "download link" to be used for retrieving the SAPUI5 installation - I did not find this, only the document that stated I had to get SAPUI5 from the SAP service marketplace.

The install error says:

Software being installed: SAPUI5 Application Development 1.10.4 (com.sap.ide.ui5.app.feature.external.feature.group 1.10.4)
  Missing requirement: SAPUI5 Application Development 1.10.4 (com.sap.ide.ui5.app.feature.external.feature.group 1.10.4) requires 'org.eclipse.wst.common.fproj.feature.group [3.1.0,4.0.0)' but it could not be found

Some blog post suggested that similar errors were due to not running the HANA studio in admin mode, since some plugins then installed in the workspace folder. I'm running eclipse in admin mode; same error.

The above error seems to refer to something called the Faceted Project Framework - but the links I found using google seem to indicate this project is "dead". I cannot get this plugin anywhere. Iti si mentioned on the following site, but as stated, the link to the Project page returns a 404.

http://www.eclipse.org/proposals/fproj/

Is there another plugin or prerequisite I need? Nothing's mentioned anywhere... I've used my HANA Studio so far to follow and replicate all the video tutorials up to #7, so I believe my installation is healthy otherwise.

Swapan: is there a free AWS HANA version now? I searched for it, but could not find it.

Regards,

Trond

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

Do you see a Juno updatesite (http://download.eclipse.org/releases/juno/) in your list of available update sites? This update site is needed for SAPUI5 even if the HANA Studio is running on a newer version of Eclipse. 

Former Member
0 Kudos

I found the solution here:

http://scn.sap.com/thread/3284452

I needed to install a specific version of certain plugins (below); therefore, I needed to un-check the ""Show only latest versions for available software", since I needed version 3.4.0 of these, and also un-check "Group item by category" in order to see them.

Required plugins:

• Eclipse Faceted Project Framework (the one from the "dead link" I described above)
  • Eclipse Faceted Project Famework JDT Enablement (same comment as previous)
  • Eclipse Java EE Developer Tools
  • Eclipse Java Web Developer Tools
  • WST Common Core

Of course, this was not explicitly documented anywhere - so, trial & error (I found thefinal solution by google'ing the error messages from eclipse) - which brings me back to my initial reservations about the way the way the development environment is being presented and delivered - not as a pre-packaged integrated offering from one vendor (SAP), but based on a range of components and plugins that we have to identify, retrieve and assemble ourselves. This is like IKEA without the user manual. Actually worse, since you don't even know which parts you need

Of course, for enterprises using this platform, there will be proper packaging and managed installations of Eclipse/plugins/UI5, and SAP will hopefully update their documentation to properly include all steps needed to get the environment up and running - maybe even do some packaging of their own...

OK, I'll stop being grumpy for today - I got the SAPUI5 tool installed, so I'm happy. I'll write it all up and publish it as a blog one of these days.

Thanks to Thomas for an excellent job in promoting these new toys, and for being very responsive!! Looking forward to (finally) creating some UI5 interfaces.

Regards,

Trond