cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Manual Update of SAP Host Agent - saphostexec.exe Missing

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello all,

i have to update manually the SAP Host Agent on a NetWeaver 7.31 Java stack and I followed the instructions on

Installing SAP Host Agent Manually - SAP Host Agent - SAP Library

As of the instructions i have to use the "saphostexec.exe", which should be part of the newer version i have downloaded... unfortunately, that is not the case and the SAR file contains far less files as the currently installed version.

Is the documentation not up to date or has something changed? Can I just copy & past the extracted files and overwrite the old ones in the current folder or do i have to use any other tool?

Regards,

Andreas

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

alwina_enns
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hello Andreas,

no, you should not do any copy & paste. Which saphostagent package you have downloaded? I would like to have a look at this package on service market place. If you download a saphostagent package for another patch, are you missing also some executables? Did you use the latest sapcar to extract the archive?

Regards,
Alwina

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

thank you for the quick response

i did download the most recent version from

SAP Software Download Center Nächster Navigationsschritt Support Packages and Patches Nächster Navigationsschritt Browse our Download Catalog Nächster Navigationsschritt SAP Technology Components Nächster Navigationsschritt SAP HOST AGENT Nächster Navigationsschritt SAP HOST AGENT 7.20 Nächster Navigationsschritt <OS> Ende des Navigationspfads.

and it did indeed not include all executables.

alwina_enns
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hello Andreas,

the saphostagent archive SAPHOSTAGENT197_197-20005735.SAR

for Windows on x64 64bit, release 7.20 and patch 197 looks good, saphostexec.exe is available in this archive. And if I look at the size for the saphostagent archive, then with each new patch the size is a little bit bigger, so I would say some information is added to each archive with a new patch and not removed. Please try to download it again, probably something went wrong during download, and please use the latest sapcar to extract it.

Regards,
Alwina

alwina_enns
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

in a such case when you are not sure if installing or upgrading procedure has changed you should check the SAP note:

1031096 - Installing Package SAPHOSTAGENT

If something will be changed this note will be updated with the new information

alwina_enns
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hello Andreas,

probably I see what is the problem. If I exctact saphostagent archive with sapcar.exe the extracting stops because of this message:

SAPCAR: could not open for writing sapcar.exe (error 28). The process cannot access the file because

it is being used by another process.

The saphostagent archive contains a sapcar.exe executable. If I rename sapcar.exe and extract saphostagent archive with this renamed sapcar_2.exe, then it works and I can upgrade my saphostagent with "saphostexec.exe -upgrade" without problems.

Regards,
Alwina

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

thank you, I managed to install it now using JSPM as SUM did not work for me, but i did test your recommendation and it worked. The files did show up!

Thank you

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

divyanshu_srivastava3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

As far as I have seen, the process remains the same.

Either use the above method to install/upgrade mentioned in

1031096 - Installing Package SAPHOSTAGENT

or the link you shared.

OR use SWPM to install this.

Regards,