cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Storage System in Data Management System (DMS)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gurus,

I am working with defining storage system where I have named the content respository as DMS_C2 , storage type as R/3 database, Version as 0045.

I would like to know if this storage system would be used to save my documents let say my CAD files in DMS. If yes how can I store and access my documents there in DMS_C2?

Help!!

Thanks,

Paddy

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I would not recommend storing CAD files in SAP database at all. The result growth would be astronomical due to the file sizes. Although it can hold a lot of documents, the database would only be suitable for testing purposes.

Install the SAP content server (KPRO) and store on an external content server. The content server CD's should be with your SAP software and there is no cost for the use of the SAP content server.

Out of interest sake, why have you created a DMS_C2 when you already have DMS_C1 which stores to the database for DMS? Is there any reason you want to break them up?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Athol,

Thanks for the reply. As rightly advised by you we would go for the external content server once we GO-LIVE.

But now with design phase, I would like to understand is how this KPRO works and what is the customization required in linking the documents from the front end desktop to the server?

I have created DMS_C2 to have a different database.Nothing more.

Thanks,

Paddy

Former Member
0 Kudos

If you intend using an external server and want to experiment, I would actually advise using a cheap desktop machine (any machine with 512MB RAM with windows 2000 or 2003 server would suffice) and playing with that rather, because most of the issues you are likely to encounter would be around the connectivity of the two machines and making a copy of the internal database configuration is unlikely to resolve this or replicate the problems you will encounter. copying the configuration won't replicate the database, it will just create a different logical storage point in the database and I've encountered problems with setting this up before. Alternatively, use your production server and experiment with it before reinstalling before go live.

At least with the separate server you can test HTTP connections, use secure certificates etc. When you use the database you will find yourself unable to check a lot of these because its not on a different server.

Words of warning on problems you will be likely to encounter if installing on windows 2003 server, make sure you have network admin and local machine admin or the install will seem to be successful but you will never get the system up and running properly until you reinstall with these rights. You will receive a HTTP 401 error if that happens. This type of issue will not happen with the database which is why I suggest you get used to using an external server. You also need to test backup's and restores to ensure they are working properly. I've seen many clients not test this and find out their backup software is not compatible with the SAP DB used on the KPRO server, which is generally about the time you find out you've lost a lot of information.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Athol- "At least with the separate server you can test HTTP connections, use secure certificates etc. When you use the database you will find yourself unable to check a lot of these because its not on a different server."

Paddy- Presently I am working in the sandbox ECC5(server is at a diff location) and have the test documents on my laptop where I am trying to attach the files to info record.

The data carrier is the front end PC. The question is if I use another system connected through network and have SAP installed on that system and my original documents stored in another system, both of the system connected, would my data carrier would change? What would be the significance of the Http in this case? Can you please explain me with a simple scenerio which compass three systems. SAP server, CAD server and the user Desktop?

Former Member
0 Kudos

You can use the same data carrier location when using an external content server.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Athol,

Could you please help me in telling how can i upload an image file from XI to KPro.

Thanks & Regards

Rajiv