Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sapinst crashes on AIX

Former Member
0 Kudos

Trying to install SOLMAN4.0 on AIX version 5.3

java -version output 1.4.2

I have set the TMP directory to /usr/sap/trans as I have loads of space in this directory, just to eliminate /tmp filling up.

I can either start the sapinst via Xwindows or via the remote gui (with -nogui) option and it crashes at random points with

iauxsysex.c:317: child /usr/sap/trans/sapinst_exe.626776.1175625453/sapinst (pid 290934) has crashed. Executable directory is /usr/sap/trans/sapinst_exe.626776.1175625453. Contact Support.

iaextract.c:814: child has signaled an exec error. Keeping directory /usr/sap/trans/sapinst_exe.626776.1175625453

I've probably installed 100s of SAP systems in my life time, but this problem, but I've never come across this one. All the notes say is that you can ignore the error if you close the instgui. The only thing I can think of is a dodgy WAN connection, but my Xwindows have not problem connecting and staying connected?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

May be the problem is related to the maximum size for various process file size or stack which is specified in the system.

You need to take care that limits are set to unlimited.

The ulimit command sets or reports user process resource limits, as defined in the <b>/etc/security/limits</b> file. This file contains these default limits:

<b>fsize = 2097151

core = 2097151

cpu = -1

data = 262144

rss = 65536

stack = 65536

nofiles = 2000</b>

These values are used as default settings when a new user is added to the system. The values are set with the mkuser command when the user is added to the system, or changed with the chuser command.

Limits are categorized as either soft or hard. With the ulimit command, you can change your soft limits, up to the maximum set by the hard limits. You must have root user authority to change resource hard limits.

Many systems do not contain one or more of these limits. The limit for a specified resource is set when the Limit parameter is specified. The value of the Limit parameter can be a number in the unit specified with each resource, or the value unlimited. To set the specific ulimit to unlimited, use the word unlimited

Note: Setting the default limits in the /etc/security/limits file sets system wide limits, not just limits taken on by a user when that user is created.

The current resource limit is printed when you omit the Limit parameter. The soft limit is printed unless you specify the -H flag. When you specify more than one resource, the limit name and unit is printed before the value. If no option is given, the -f flag is assumed.

Since the ulimit command affects the current shell environment, it is provided as a shell regular built-in command. If this command is called in a separate command execution environment, it does not affect the file size limit of the caller's environment.

Once a hard limit has been decreased by a process, it cannot be increased without root privilege, even to revert to the original limit.

Flags

-a Lists all of the current resource limits.

-c Specifies the size of core dumps, in number of 512-byte blocks.

-d Specifies the size of the data area, in number of K bytes.

-f Sets the file size limit in blocks when the Limit parameter is used, or reports the file size limit if no parameter is specified. The -f flag is the default.

-H Specifies that the hard limit for the given resource is set. If you have root user authority, you can increase the hard limit. Anyone can decrease it.

-m Specifies the size of physical memory, in number of K bytes.

-n Specifies the limit on the number of file descriptors a process may have.

-s Specifies the stack size, in number of K bytes.

-S Specifies that the soft limit for the given resource is set. A soft limit can be increased up to the value of the hard limit. If neither the -H nor -S flags are specified, the limit applies to both.

-t Specifies the number of seconds to be used by each process.

Exit Status

The following exit values are returned:

0 Successful completion.

>0 A request for a higher limit was rejected or an error occurred.

Example

To set the file size limit to 51,200 bytes, enter:

ulimit -f 100

Files

/usr/bin/ksh Contains the ulimit built-in command.

You need to change the various values to unlimited for hard and soft limits.

To obtain full core files, set the following ulimit options:

|ulimit -c unlimited turn on corefiles with unlimited size

|ulimit -n unlimited allows an unlimited number of open file

|ulimit -d unlimited sets the user data limit to unlimited

|ulimit -f unlimited sets the file limit to unlimited

You can display the current ulimit settings with: |ulimit -a

These values are the "soft" limit, and are applied for each |user. These values cannot exceed the "hard" limit value. To display and change |the "hard" limits, you can run the same ulimit commands using the |additional -H flag.

This should be helpful.

Regards

Sumit Jain

**Reward with points if useful.

Message was edited by:

Sumit Jain

georg_leffers
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi all,

please check if your AIX system envitonment is like described in SAP note

957841. This might solve the problem.

Regards, Georg

Former Member
0 Kudos

This note don't help me. My AIX C++ version:

xlC.aix50.rte 8.0.0.0 C F C Set ++ Runtime for AIX 5.0

As described in note it should be 8.0.0.3

IF somone tryed to contact support about this problem ?

*********************************************************I look on APAR fix for AIX 5.3 file which described in this note. It looks like it valid for vertion 8.0.0.0 too. Now i'm downloading it. Let you know doas it solve this problem.

Message was edited by:

Olegas Matiusovas

Former Member
0 Kudos

AIX APAR don't fix this problem

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello everyone

I found a solution. Refer to the note 482208.

Befor running sapinst do the folowing:

64-Bit AIX 5.1 and 5.2: SAPinst GUI causes segment. faults

If SAPinst GUI causes segmentation faults on 64-Bit AIX, set the following

parameters in the installation shell:

ulimit -d unlimited

ulimit -s unlimited

Everything works fine

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I have the same problem on a installation in AIX 5.3. The Java Package is 1.4.2 64 bit. I'm searching for a note, bu I cannot find. Anybody have any idea?

Thanks a lot,

Carlos

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello everyone,

I have the same problem also. AIX 5.3 with java 1.4.2 64bit. No notes for that problem

AIX OS level 5300-05-06, Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.4.2, J2RE 1.4.2 IBM AIX 5L for PowerPC build caix64142-20050929 (SR3))

Message was edited by:

Olegas Matiusovas

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

pls check

1. user limits for root

2. proper jdk/jre

3. NFS Permissions , if /usr/sap/trans on NFS (probably no root access)

4. enough free space in your installation directory

Best regards

dirk

Former Member
0 Kudos

I think I may have found the problem but need to confirm

User processes: 512

JDK/JRE version 1.4.2.75 32bit (Could this be the issue)

NFS not relevant /usr/sap/trans is local and has 2GB of free space

andreas_herzog
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

<b>i'd rather go for 64bit jre/jdk</b>...i'm on aix as well and jre/jdk is always 64bit...

GreetZ, AH

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

User processes: 512

JDK/JRE version 1.4.2.75 32bit (Could this be the issue)

NFS not relevant /usr/sap/trans is local and has 2GB of free space

The above message shows that the version of JDK you are using in not correct. You need to use the 64 bit version for the installation of SAP in our case.

Regards

Sumit Jain

**Reward with points if useful.

Former Member
0 Kudos

further Java info

java version "1.4.2"

Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.4.2)

Classic VM (build 1.4.2, J2RE 1.4.2 IBM AIX build ca142-20060421 (SR5) (JIT enabled: jitc))

andreas_herzog
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

why not start the instgui on your local (windows?) pc? just start the sapinst with option SAPINST_START_GUI=false

-> the java is 64bit?

GreetZ, AH