Standalone SAP on a clustered system

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,
we have the following Setup:
Node A: nodeA
Node B: nodeB

SID: C01

The clustered "C01" instance is switching correctly to nodeB and also back to nodeA.

We want now to install an additional standalone instance on nodeB, called "S01". We have installed it as virtual instance. But
the problem is now that C01 is not switching on nodeB anymore.

The root cause is, that there is a net share sapmnt which is pointing to the local file system I: where S01 (local instance) is installed. And there, C01
can't find the profiles and so on. If we remove the net share sapmnt from nodeB, C01 is switching like before where S01 was not installed.

The question is now, how we can install the standalone S01 on the nodeB with the share sapmnt which is needed for S01 and a working cluster switch for C01?

I have find the following document http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/90486554-bdc6-2a10-d39b-e143d5b2e..., where is described how to have more sapmnt shares. But this the way multiple SIDs in one cluster. But we don't want to have the S01 in the cluster.

Thanks for helping and best regards,
Steffen Herrmann

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Steffen,

mixing standalone (non clustered central) systems and clustered systems in one Failover Cluster is not supported.

The reason for this is, that a local central system installation will create a share sapmnt on the clusternode where the system is installed.

This local sapmnt share breaks an algorithm in the profile parameter engine which set the default values for the profile parameters.

The algorithm could not be fixed at this point, because sapmnt is ambiguous at this point (exists more than one time).

There is a possibility to fix this situation in setting

DIR_INSTALL=<...>\SID\SYS

in every profile used in clustered and non clustered systems.

<...> is \\VirtualHostnameOfTheSAPClusterGroup\sapmnt\<ClusteredSID>\SYS for all non-clustered instances installed on cluster nodes belonging to the clustered system

<...> is ClusterDriveLetterOfSAPClusterDisk:\usr\sap\<ClusteredSID>\SYS for the clustered instance (ASCS/SCS only)

<...> is LocalSAPDiskDriveLetter:\usr\sap\<nonclusteredSID>\SYS for locally installed systems (only those instances installed on this node)

The parameter must be set in the instance profiles and the start profiles (if separate start profiles are still used (older system versions)).

The parameter must not be set in the DEFAULT.PFL.

We can't automate this, because SAPInst is only capable to handle changes to one system (not two or even more) at a time.

Be aware, that this kind of necessary modifications may not be performed in any later installation or upgrade tools (SUM, SWPM while installing other components).

kind regards

Peter

Message was edited by: Peter Simon

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Peter,

thanks for your answer. Maybe, I will try it, but it should not be a permanent solution, as you already stated, that it is not supported and I will get problems when I do upgrades later.

Thanks a lot and best regards,

Answers (0)