Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Define a Time Start Event in PowerDesigner BPM Models

former_member217396
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

just wondering ... according to BPMN 2.0 there are many different start and end events. One of them is the Time Start Event. In the help we can find such a definition for this event:

The following types of events are available:

•Timer - Cyclic timer events, points in time, time spans, or timeouts.

But there is no place I can define the start time or the cycle ...

Does someone knows how to do that or is something missing in the configuration for that event (and not only for that particular one)?

Regards,

Rafal

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

former_member185317
Active Participant
0 Kudos

If you are targeting Solution Manager, you should use the Solution Manager language, as it does not necessarily directly translate from BPMN to SolMan 7.1. If you are using IBO or PO, then BPMN Executable is fine.

HTH,

-Matt C.

former_member217396
Participant
0 Kudos

That's maybe true, but again ... SAP is really inconsistent in the way they are integrating software they have acquired from other vendors...

We want to have it at some point in time deployed to Solution Manager ... but we don't have Solution Manager in production yet ... but to be able to create the BPM models you have to have Solution Manager first ... because:

PowerDesigner supports the import of the following objects and their attachment to scenarios and processes, but does not support their creation or the export of modifications to them:

• Logical components
  • Organization units
  • Master data
  • General and project documentation
  • Transactions

So in simple words ... if you don't have Solution Manager, where you can create the Organization Units (Roles) first ... you can't really do anything in regards to BPM. Of course you could define the process flow etc. but without having the underlying swimlane (because this is what the Organization Unit represents) ... this is somehow a "no go" for us...

Now the same will probably apply to the Time Start Events ... let's say we will define it as a Business Rule and attach it to the Start Event. Will it be then understood by Solution Manager? MOst probably not ... so it there a Solution Manager integration in that product or not? I'm now not really sure what I should thing about the statement:"PowerDesigner provides support for round-trip import and export of Solution Manager v7.1 projects. A Solution Manager project is imported as a BPM model."

In my opinion, it should not be possible to change the language of the existing BPM model to Solution Manager, as this doesn't makes sense at all. It makes only sense for models imported from Solution Manager ... but not for new models created in PD from scratch ...

What I wrote is off course related only to the problems with the integratino with SolMan, not in general to PD

Former Member
0 Kudos

You should capture that in a Business Rule Object and relate it to the Event from the Rules tab.

Hope that helps

arnaud_laurent
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hello,

The Timer Start event can be found in the BPMN 2.0 Executable palette:

Edit the event and click the Iteam-Aware Elements tab to define information.

HTH,

Arnaud

former_member217396
Participant
0 Kudos

I know where it is ect.

OK, so you are saying we shall use the item-aware elements...

So 2 quesitons:

- let's say, we want to define a srat event starting at 2:00 PM. What's the exact format we have to put there?

- let's say, we have a weekly process. So also here ... what's the format?

- will Solution Manager understand this?

Thanks!

Rafal