cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible HA/Switch-Over Scenarios?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all

a customer of us has bought 2 identical hardware systems and wants to run his productive instance on one of these. There is no VM or SAN technology involved, but of course a SMB/NFS storage exists. It's planned to setup NW703/EHP6 on Windows 2012 R2 with Oracle 11.2.0.4.

His idea is to use the second hardware in a worst case scenario as switch-over host. He accepts a maximum downtime of 2-4 hours and expects the data of 2-4 hours ago (so we can't use the DB backup created 23hours ago)

The client does not want a MSCS solution because he has bad experience with MS Cluster.

My question is:

What technical possibilities do we have to achieve this?

Currently we focus on Oracle Data Guard to setup a standby database

I have no clue of Oracle Data Guard, so please be forgiving of the following assumptions.

What I read is that DataGuard fulfills the requirement from an oracle perspective and has other benefits (like create db-backup from standby-db...). I still don't know if new brtools or plain Oracle-DataGuard technology will be better.

But what about the SAP perspective? What about kernel-patches/Secure Store/connected BW/SRM-Systems in a worst case?

What about other alternatives?

Regards,

Kanan

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

ACE-SAP
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

Dataguard perfectly fits your customer's needs.

It has no impact on SAP system (kernel, patch...) and is supported by BR*Tools (for instance see note 1619242 - BRARCHIVE and Oracle Data Guard )

Regards