cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Append in FTP File receiver

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have a scenario where sender system is real time & sending the data to PI many times a day ( SOAP)

On the other hand receiving  system is ECC system which runs on batch mode nightly.

This is SOAP to File scenario. ECC needs one complete file/message per day for the all the SOAP messages received on that day.

I am thinking to do this via SOAP to File ( using FCC) and choosing mode as Append in file creation mode.

Please let me know if this best approach.

Also Can i name the file with date stamp to identity ? Also once the file is ready, ABAP program will pick it up for proceeding

Then we need to delete the file so that next day data is saved on another file with date stamp

Please advice the best design for this scenario..

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I think there is a flaw in ur design. What if some chunk did not make to the file which u are creating in ECC due to any reason for ex mapping exception and ur batch job in ECC gets kicked off?

So, if i were u i would have asked sender to send some kind of end of day indicator.

Secondly, instead of creating file in main folder i would have created a file with some static name in append mode in a EOIO manner in some temp location.

And once i receive EOD indicator from Sender, i would just move the file (u can use additional files option in file sender adapter to pick main file + EOD file) from temp location to main location and let program in ECC gets kicked off as soon as file is available.

And regarding ur concern about dynamic file name in ECC folder, u can simply rename (File_Datetime stamp) the file using file receiver adapter while moving from temp location to ECC main folder location.

Thanks

Amit Srivastava

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for your reply & design review. Sender system is planning to work only in business hours ( lets say max till 8 Pm) Our batch jobs start late in midnight so any failure messages due to Communication, would be fixed by re-running the message. Any failure due to bad data has to be fixed any way next business day.

Sender system has  standard web service exposed for this operation,hence  i cannot ask for End of day indicator. What I am planning to do is put in static file and and put this channel in availability time mode where in it would kick in at particular time and remove the file and place it on target.

While sending to target, i can put time stamp and also archive it for further use.

Let me know how this sounds..

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

>>Any failure due to bad data has to be fixed any way next business day.

If your business is ok with this then i think your approach would also work.

Thanks

Amit Srivastava

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Amit & SDN readers,

I just wanted to get back to SDN on this design. After looking into pros & Cons of design where we append the file, we decided not to implement this.

Instead we would pass the SOAP message coming from third party to Inbound proxy. This proxy would save the messages into ECC table.

A nightly batch job would pick the data & would either create file ( for 3rd party target application) or would post the data into ECC using BAPI etc.

The challenge that this design has is to accommodate nested SOAP structure in one transparent table. Let us know if this design looks good..

Thanks..

former_member184720
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

>>>The challenge that this design has is to accommodate nested SOAP structure in one transparent table. Let us know if this design looks good..

I don't see any issue with this approach.

What is the problem in creating a table for nested soap structure?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for reply. The challenge that I am anticipating is to store the data in multiple table due to 1 :N relation of data coming from SOAP ( for e.g Sales Order hader->details->Delviery line items)

Also data will be transformed first to Table then to file so chance of errors are more as there are multiple conversion.. But considering the other challenges, I think this is close to good..

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Harish
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Please refer 2nd case in the below wiki which has the solution for your requirement.

More with the File Adapter - Process Integration - SCN Wiki

regards,

Harish

nabendu_sen
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Please check this one. Already discussed all the possibilities:

Regards,

Nabendu.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks! In my case it is SOAP to .txt FILE( With FCC). SOAP will keep sending the file, all day long. I need to collect these and put in one single file using FCC ( NFS)

I will move this single file later to another target system for processing. Let me know if Append would be good idea for this. Also how to name the file with dynamic value of date& time.

former_member184720
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You can set the dynamic file name during the mapping. Just add the date but not the time.

refer to below wiki for UDF.

Dynamic file name and directory in Receiver File Adapter - summary of possibilities - Process Integr...

If you just maintain the date in the file name then you can append the messages for that day into one file.

If you add time the file name is unique for every message and you won't be able to append.