cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup for the DR site

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Team,

I have a doubt is it possible to backup from the DR site?

Since the database has not been opened, it wont allow us to backup from the DR site right?

Is there a way to backup the database from the DR site?

Message was edited by: Tom Flanagan

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

JimmyYang
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi,

We are talking about System Replication as described in "How to Perform System Replication for SAP HANA" http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-47702 right??

The DR site doesn't accept any SQL commands, so you won't be able to back it up unless you take it out of replication and then back it up.

My question is why are backing up the DR anyways? DR is replicating from a Primary node, so why not just backup the primary node?

Best Regards,
Jimmy

Former Member
0 Kudos

DR site is in replication mode, so there is no way to send sql commands to back it up.

Backing up primary was not our requirement.

We had a business requirment where the DR for HANA had to be behind 2 hours.

For other databases it was possible.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Jimmy,

Is there a way to perform the same?

JimmyYang
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

I don't believe there is a current way to do this. It is possible they may feature this in a new release. This question was asked a while back in SPS06 days:Can a HANA DR Standby system be used as a sourc... | SAP HANA

but this feature was not mentioned in the SPS08 release notes so I assume it wasn't implemented.

As of right now, the only way to do that would be to decouple the DR environment and then back it up.

Have you considered a multi-tier system replication scenario? That might be an option for you as well.

Cheers,
Jimmy

Former Member
0 Kudos

multi-tier system replication scenario , can you please breifly explain about this solution also is it expensive ?

Answers (0)