Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Conceptual Help request on Clients and Systems for new install of 7.4

former_member257798
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Greetings to all,
I am an SAP product support engineer that is *Brute Forcing* my way through an install of “SAP”. I have run into some conceptual problems and could use the advice of someone who has been through it.
I am struggling with the concept of clients and systems in the context of what I need to do next to reach my goal of installing the product that I support.

These are the details I believe to be relevant to my question:
1) Started with WIN2008 OS on a VM
2) I installed MSsql 2012
3) I installed SAP NW 7.4 Support Release 2 / Application Server ABAP / Standard System
4) I installed SAP NW 7.4 Support Release 2 / Application Server JAVA / Standard System
5) I installed SAP GUI and got it connected to my ABAP instance, stuff works… component lists, SU01, etc
6) I connected to NWA with the browser and have the start page up - http://srvpcm:50200/startPage
7) Need your input
😎 Complete the initial licensing for ABAP and JAVA

9) Complete Install my product components

I believe that my next step is to make a client copy, so that I will have client 100 to work with. I am confused about the systems part. I wish to gain some practice with transports eventually with this VM. Can someone guide me as to when it makes sense to and how to create the system so I can work on “transports from QA to Prod”?

I am scraping my way through various posts and content but experienced guidance would be wonderful. I am taking on this task because, currently a product I support does not have an instance that we can destroy. We only have the one shared with dev and this limits my growth and ability to support our customers.

Kind Regards,
John Harris
Senior Support Engineer, SAP Active Global Support,
SAP America, Inc., 1001 Summit Blvd, #2100, Atlanta, GA 30319, USA

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

ACE-SAP
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello John,

That is great to see support engineer committed to the extent of installing a test system to help its customer.

Support people are often our last chance, so It's a pleasure trying to help you in return.

It is just sad to see that your company does not seem to be able to help you that much...

1) Through SCC4 create a new client

2) In RZ10 set instance parameter login/no_automatic_user_sapstar to 0
    restart instance if needed (it is a non dynamic parameter)

3) Log in the created client with SAP* & default password pass,

using SCC5 launch a local client copy of client 000 with profile SAP_CUST

=> 550894  CC-ADMIN: Setting up a new client

Testing CTS activities on a single system is a bit tricky.

You can simulate a 3 systems TMS landscape using different clients from a single system.

I've done a quick test on a system with 3 clients, 500, 600 & 700.

This should be done in transaction STMS, from client 000.

Configure the system as a domain controller (leave all options to default) and go in / overview / transport route

Activate change mode (pen icon), left click on your system and drop it in the lower area with a second left click.

Configure the route a explained here after.

Such a configuration should allow you to have a transport req. released from your dev system (SID/500) being inserted in the TMS import queue targeting client 600 for consolidation.

When the order is imported in client 600 it will be inserted in the import queue targeting 700 for delivery.

Testing workbench transport in that configuration will be quite useless as workbench object are cross client...

Regards

former_member257798
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks, Merci, Danke,

The help is appreciated.

Kind Regards,

John

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member185239
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi John,

1. Now you need to create a client as required in your case. Here you need to create a client with profile SAP_CUST from client 000 to 100.

Then use the profile SAP_USER profile from 001 client to copy the users to 100 client.

You will find good details regarding client copy in scn

2. You need to configure STMS to move the transport from DEV-->QAS-->PRD.

With Regards

Ashutosh Chaturvedi