cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Searching for suitable integration solution (like PI)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am looking for connector between RFC function interfaces and JavaScript application (use REST or SOAP). In other words looking for calling RFC via REST (or something like).

According to my research SAP PI can do such things, but it seems to it is really big software and require specific infrastructure. The second point - I can find the price for SAP IP. Can anybody help in this question?

May exists lightweight alternatives for SAP IP, small connector RFC <->REST? Java connector is not suitable for me, I would like to work from JavaScript.

Only one solution I can see - write Java server application and use SAP Java Connector for calling RFC and send info to JavaScript application via REST. Any other alternatives?

Thanks in advance!

Olga

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

suman_saha
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

You can directly do from SAP Gateway services.

Or you can go for ODATA adapter in PI.

You can decide based on

Regards,

Suman

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Suman,

It seems SAP Gateway services is can be good solution and what I was looking for, but need to make small research - I have never encountered this solution.

And I am worry that SAP IP is bulky and difficult configurable for me.

Thanks you!

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

iaki_vila
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Olga,

From my point of view PI is no the best tool to call a REST service, as pointed out you can do it directly via SAP Netweaver Gateway (a free Netweaver addon, integrated if you have SAP NW 7.4 in your ECC).

There are third party adapters or the AXIS adapter to consume REST services, we can think that the PI must be the central integration, but are we obfuscated to use always SAP PI as PI developers?. If the endpoint is inside the DMZ in your client organization, from my point of view using PI is like using a sledgehammer to crack a nut (in Spanish we say to kill a fly with a cannon shot, funniest ) because SAP has yet a tool thought and ready for Restful architecture and we don't should forget that PI is a SOA Architecture, also you can even install Gateway in the ABAP stuck in PI. However, sometimes depending of your client and business consideration you can take PI AXIS option.

Hope this helps.

Regards.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Iñaki,

Really helpful answer, issue is almost clear for me.

Thanks,

Olga

kirill_smirnov
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Olga,

If you are able to consume SOAP web services from your JavaScript-based application (which I believe is pretty achievable), then you can directly call RFC functions from SAP. All you need to do is to expose those RFC functions as SOAP web services.

You might also like to check the threads like this - to get a step-by-step tutorial on the process.

Cheers,
Kirill

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kirill,

Thanks for answer. I don't know about such possibility. Maybe it is not the simple way and integration of SAP Gateway could be easiest. I'll check this possibility.

Thanks,

Olga

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Olga,

You can use ASP, .net or PHP to connect with RFC and BADIs.

http://cdn.ttgtmedia.com/digitalguide/images/Misc/calling_rfc.pdf

http://rfcconnector.com/documentation/examples/php/

Regards,

Bruno Massaro

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Bruno,

Using BADI means integration DCOM ActiveX object into my page. But it is not possible for me. It should be universal solution, independent of operation system and browser (I mean the most common: EI, Firefox, Chrome).

The second solution has the same problem - using COM objects - and therefore Microsoft stack - Windows operation system. Independent of server side it is also important - therefore php using is not possible.

Thanks for your answer. Maybe in the future it will be useful to me.