Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enserver.exe does not start after patching

torsten_blank2
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello,

after Patching our Server with Kernel enserver.exe does not start any more.

Log is attached.

System:

Windows 7 SP1 / Windows Server 2008 R2 64bit (Development and Test server)

Netweaver 7.30 SP10 (updated with last patches that were available at Nov. 7th 2014)

Kernelupdate from 700 to last patches (710/711/712, i think, maybe from 622 to last patch, because our admin has done that and is on vacation)

Any idea?

Thanks.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

torsten_blank2
Participant
0 Kudos

OK, thanks for help, every kernel Version with 7xx does not start on Server.

I have go back to 622 and Server now works.

Only nwds does not start (Exit code=-1), but files that described are ok in jvm (32bit).

Any idea here?

We ill try the new kernel Version in an few days (weeks?) when our Basic guy is back...

torsten_blank2
Participant
0 Kudos

Basis give me another vm Server with netweaver (copy) and there i manage to go back to kernel 622 and it seems that it works. so development is save for this time, but error on original Server still exists, but now i can test and manage a solution for patch without hurry...

Edit 1: Is there something changed in Kernel 71x? 622 works, 700 we have not testen (directly to 711/2), but we have made Version "Upgrades" from 4 to 5 or 5 to 6 some times without Problems...

Edit 2: Argh... NWDS dont start anymore on both servers...

alwina_enns
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hello Torsten,

which archives you have downloaded to patch the system?

Regards,
Alwina

torsten_blank2
Participant
0 Kudos

SAP Marketplace - 7.20 Kernelpatches für Unicode - All for Independent and MaxDB with "7" at first place (700, and then 710, 711 and at last 712 Patches), also new IGS, repacked all and write together into one Folder for Update... like updates before...

Now i will test second Server to work with nwds for develoment... also...

alwina_enns
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hello Torsten,

the archives SAPEXE*.SAR and SAPEXEDB*.SAR contain executables for the kernel and different components, which were tested together. Other patches you should only install, if a critical error is solved in this patches. Probably you should try to apply only the both archives first, if the system will start. Please have a look also at the note "19466 - Downloading SAP kernel patches":

"
For kernel versions 72*, using the latest SP stack kernel is generally

recommended; see SAP Note 1744209. You should only apply other patches if you

temporarily need a specific fix or new feature in the kernel."

Regards,
Alwina

torsten_blank2
Participant
0 Kudos

OK, i will test 700 at first...

alwina_enns
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hello Torsten,

and all other traces for the enqueue server does not contain any entries? Is something logged into sapstart.log trace? Was sapstartsrv stopped during patching and which entries are in sapstatrsrv.log? What is logged in stderr* files in the working directory of the ASCS instance?

Regards,
Alwina

torsten_blank2
Participant
0 Kudos

Files attached if updates with logging, only sapstart, the others are clear.

alwina_enns
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

could you please check sapcpe.log in the working directory of the SCS instance, if all executables were updated successfully? Could you please check the version of the executables with

sapcontrol -nr <nn> -function GetVersionInfo

torsten_blank2
Participant
0 Kudos

There is no logfile like sapcpe... file was updated to last Version dated to 10.11....

I dont know how to work with sapcontrol (always ended with error) but maybe Node VersionInfo helps (attached)

alwina_enns
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hello Torsten,

is it a java only system? Currently I do not have an access to a java only system, I'm looking at our ASCS instance, and in the working directory of this instance there is sapcpe_scs.log, and if the patching was correctly, this log should not report any errors. Did you try to start the system only from SAPMMC or also on OS level? Do you get any errors, if you start the system from the command line? In the attached version info I see "disp+work", but an SCS instance should not have "disp+work", could you please describe a little bit this system - does it have an SCS instance and a J2EE instance? I would like to know, if sapstartsrv of the SCS instance has the same verions like all other executables, and on the attached screenshot I see only one sapstartsrv, and I'm not sure, to which instance does it belong.

Regards,
Alwina

torsten_blank2
Participant
0 Kudos

We have only Java stack with one Server node for development and testing, productive 2 nodes.

We start from SAPMMC after patching or restarting complete server.

Attached come screenshots from System (SAPMMC and Explorer), hope this helps.

We only have small developments and apps on Java.

By this: I have changed to old kernel, but then enserver AND msgserver are red with Errors.

And: Sorry for bad english and maybe less Information, but i try this only for a few times, and it works well until now.

divyanshu_srivastava3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Can you run sapcpe manually ?

sapcpe pf=<instance profile) - for j00 and SCS.

share the generated logs.

torsten_blank2
Participant
0 Kudos

sapcpe runs without error, logs are not "generated", the Standard logs were there, but filled with Standard Headlines, no (Special) logging in it.

alwina_enns
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hello Torsten,

and in stderr* files is there really nothing logged? According to the screenshots which you have provided message server can be started, so at least for message server in an stderr* file there should be an entry with which profile it was started. Sometime if a process dies stderr* have a hint, why it dies, when all other traces are not written. In sapstart.log is only seen, that enserver.exe process died unexpectedly, but I expect to see in stderr* file at least the info, which profile has this process used. Please try to start the system on OS level without using SAPMMC, in some cases you can see additional information on OS level, why the system does not start. Versions look OK so far.

Regards,
Alwina

torsten_blank2
Participant
0 Kudos

I have found these standard logging files, and they were updates (date and time), but they are completly clear (for example one is attached).

Edit: clear files can not be uploaded.

0 Kudos

Hi,

This issue coming because all executables are not distributed in kernel directories
You need to check the sapcpe.log for more details.
Copy the relevant kernel on following directories and this will work.    

D:\usr\sap\WD1\SYS\exe\uc\NTAMD64
D:\usr\sap\WD1\JC##\exe
D:\usr\sap\WD1\SCS##\exe

Thanks,

torsten_blank2
Participant
0 Kudos

executables are in NTAMD64 Folder (104), and i copy them to J00/exe folder, but SCS01 has no exe Folder.

0 Kudos

Patch all exe folders with same files if location is different.

Try to start SAP and share dev_0 log.

Thanks,

torsten_blank2
Participant
0 Kudos

I copy all and state is the same, but now in sapstartsrv.log the following is written:

SAP HA TRACE: FindClusterResource: OpenCluster failes: 1060 (sapwinha.cpp, line214)

SAP HA TRACE: SAP_HA_FindSAPInstance Returns: SAP_HA_FAIL (sapwinha.cpp, line 936)

The other log files were not updated or clear. Used Profile was fine.

alwina_enns
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

if the system is not running in a cluster, then you can ignore these messages. The next step would be to start the system from OS level to see, if some additional information is printed during the start.

If all executables are really OK, then you should clean up the shared memory. On a windows server it is possible only by rebooting the server.

I would still recommend to use

sapcontrol -nr <nn> -function GetVersionInfo

<nn> - instance number

to check the versions of executable for each instance. Which error do you get, if you use sapcontrol? Under which user you are executing it?

torsten_blank2
Participant
0 Kudos

"SAP NetWeaver has stopped working" message comes when i start it.

Server was rebooted.

Used User ist Administrator, used for everything until now.

Attached: sapcpe.log, now filled...

alwina_enns
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hello Torsten,

sapcpe reports:

*** ERROR: identical source/target directory

so it cannot copy executables, since the both directories, source and target, are the same. What is the entry for starting sapcpe in the start profile? To which directories the parameters point:

DIR_CT_RUN

DIR_EXECUTABLE

Regards,
Alwina

torsten_blank2
Participant
0 Kudos

DIR_EXECUTABLES

0 Kudos

So you need to update EXECUTABLES in both directory

DIR_INSTALL = D:\usr\sap\$(SAPSYSTEMNAME)\SYS

DIR_INSTANCE = D:\usr\sap\$(SAPSYSTEMNAME)\$(INSTANCE_NAME)

D:\usr\sap\WD1\SYS\exe\uc\NTAMD64

D:\usr\sap\WD1\J00\exe

Is your system running in a cluster?

Thanks,

alwina_enns
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hello Torsten,

I can find sapcpe in the profile WD1_J00_WASDEV01, but it is not configured in the profile of the SCS instance. Did you copied all executables manually?

Regards,
Alwina

torsten_blank2
Participant
0 Kudos

I have done this... as you advice me threads before... no "result"... i have make Folder because there was no folder "exe"...

torsten_blank2
Participant
0 Kudos

We have made update like some times before by copying files manually and so replace files with new ones... not correct? did we have luck by doing this some times before?

alwina_enns
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

it can be done manually, but recommended way is to use sapcpe. You should check carefully, if really all executables were copied from the downloaded archives

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Torsten,

The easiest thing to do is revert to the old kernel and restart the system.

Regards,

Graham

torsten_blank2
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks.

I have done this but then there is no entry any more in MMC when i open it.

Edit:

I mean there are no SAP Server (nodes) any more in MMC.

Former Member
0 Kudos

OK, use this note to recreate the connection:

http://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/1899842

torsten_blank2
Participant
0 Kudos

OK, thanks, we will try this.

But no idea why kernel patch failed?

We havent had any Problems with patching in past.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Torsten,

There is so little information in the alert you sent that it's impossible to say. 

torsten_blank2
Participant
0 Kudos

The other logfiles have not recognized some Errors. If you can tell me what files needed i will post them.

I will try to go back to older kernel Version.

karthikeyan_natarajan4
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Torsten,

Revert back to old kernel for time being till your Basis guy comes back. If you can't see the system entry in MMC. Goto kernel exe folder and double click on sapstart.srv, it will suggest to install service+Register COM Interface+ Start service

Drive:\usr\sap\SID\SYS\exe\uc\NTAMD64\sapstartsrv.exe

give you system details and check in MMC.

regards

kartik

torsten_blank2
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks, i will try this.