cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Force log switch using dbmcli

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello!

How do I force a log switch using dbmcli?

For data protection purpose I would like to do this on daily basis.

The system has autolog=on, and I run the backups using dbmcli via crontab on a linux box. MaxDB version is 7.6.01.12

Regards,

Fredrik

Message was edited by:

Fredrik Rosengren

Message was edited by:

Fredrik Rosengren

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

andreas_herzog
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

a) yor maxdb is quite old..under sap only version 7.5 and 7.6 are supported (IMHO)

b) as far as i remember, you can't do a "log switch" (oracle like)...you can only toggle the autolog...

GreetZ, AH

Former Member
0 Kudos

sorry! The correct version is 7.6.01.12 , as corrected above!

//Fredrik

Former Member
0 Kudos

AH,

Toggle the autolog does not seem to force a log switch!

Seems like incr backups on daily basis is the only way go?

//Fredrik

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Fredrik,

with Oracle Databases you use logswitches to get online redo logs copied to archive logs even when these online redo logs are not yet completely filled.

Basically you just want to make sure to have the latest changes in your backup too.

Well in MaxDB there is no "switch logfile" because there is no such thing as the logfiles. And there is also no limitation like the one of Oracle when backing up log data.

If you want to backup each and all not yet backed up log entries: no problem!

Deactivate the automatic log backup, perform a manual log backup and restart the automatic logbackup.

The log segments in MaxDB are not like the online redo logfiles of oracle. They are just markers in the logarea that are used by the autolog features to know "oh, there had been some changes again - let's do a backup of that now".

You may also want to have a look into this note:

<a href="https://websmp206.sap-ag.de/~form/handler?_APP=01100107900000000342&_EVENT=REDIR&_NNUM=869267&_NLANG=E">#869267 - FAQ: MaxDB LOG area</a>

KR Lars