cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Business Objects Oracle Database incorrect character set

Former Member
0 Kudos

Good afternoon, I've an Oracle database migrated from DB2, It was created with a character set WE8MSWIN1252, We want to migrate it to UTF-8, Somebody could please help me or provide the procedure step by step?

Thanks

Robinson Quiroz

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos
Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Reagan thanks for your reply, I read the note 1416616 and I've a question, It's mandatory perform the conversion?, Or Can I still using the current character set?. I'm installing Dataservices, and I saw in the prerequisites that is mandatory for Dataservices use UTF-8.

Waiting your comments.

Robinson

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello Robinson

Have you checked the installation guide of the product?

The installation guide of SAP BusinessObjects Enterprise XI 3.1 says the database should be setup with UTF-8

Regardless of database type, the database must be setup to use Unicode character encoding, such as UTF-8

Source: https://websmp210.sap-ag.de/~sapidb/011000358700000196532014E/xi31_sp7_bip_inst_unix_en.pdf

Reagan

ACE-SAP
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello

As UTF8 is not a superset of WE8MSWIN1252 you could not go with a simple

ALTER DATABASE NATIONAL CHARACTER SET UTF8;

You should export the data from source DB (using datapump) recreate a DB with the good character set  and import back the data.

You could also use the CSALTER Script, check Metalink note Doc ID 260192.1

Changing the NLS_CHARACTERSET to AL32UTF8 / UTF8 (Unicode) in 8i, 9i , 10g and 11g

or check that (old) link

convert characterset WE8MSWIN1252 to UTF8 | Oracle Community

Regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

thanks for your reply, I read the note 1416616 and I've a question, It's mandatory perform the conversion?, Or Can I still using the current character set?. I'm installing Dataservices, and I saw in the prerequisites that is mandatory for Dataservices use UTF-8.

Waiting your comments.

Robinson