cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

calling a Function module without using service call in Wedbynpro/ABAP

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Gurus,

I have been working with a Webdynpro development.

In my Webdynpro application development, I am using a Function module to get the PO numbers based on the time frame of PO's.

Here i have not used Service Call to call my Function module. I directly called the FM and my FM is giving me the PO no's.

When should i need to use Service call option of Webdynpro component? In this particular case dont i need to use service call?

What is the difference between calling a FM directly and through Service call in Webdynpro/ABAP ?

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Dev

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

harsha_jalakam
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Dev,

Creating a service call and calling a function module through it, give you flexibility of creating nodes/attributes in line with function module parameters. if does even automatically does the node binding process.

Where as if u call a function module, node and attributes need to explicitly created and binding has to be done through coding, if there is need to modify the parameters and display the same in UI.

If there is not customizations are required for the parameters that are available in the FM  , then we go for service call.Most of time, since we go for property binding of UI elements, adding more attributes to the node, which differ from the parameters of the FM, we go for calling the FM explicitly.

Regards,

Harsha

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

The way you used is much better. With the "Service call" there is waste of data and you have Business logic within WebDynpro Component. Such calls should be done in the assistance class or in other classes where Business logic is developed.

The pattern functionality of WebDynpro shouldn't be used, it's like developing web pages with MS Word. Lot's of Overhead and too many variables and source code