cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why the Dialog instance SID must be keep same with Central instance SID?

Former Member
0 Kudos

I want to install DI for exist CI on separate host, my question is Why the Dialog instance SID must be keep same with Central instance SID?

thanks.

B.R

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member185954
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I think its down to Directory structure that is mandated by SAP, all standard SAP programs, environment variables and kernel programs are hardwired to a rigid directory structure.

The SID directory in my opinion provides a simple way of organising software and data belonging to individual SAP instances.

Check the directory structure here

It explains why.

Regards,

Siddhesh

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Siddhesh and Yves KERVADEC,

We can not found any information for this topic from sap document but many thanks for your reply.

I agree this point "all the instances from a system shares the same SID"

B.R

Yan da

ACE-SAP
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

If you're looking for an 'official statement', check that document

Application Server - SAP NetWeaver Library: Function-Oriented View - SAP Library

SAP system  installed software system that provides a defined set of functionalities that are part of an SAP solution. These functionalities are implemented in a set of software components. An SAP system is installed and configured as a unit. It consists of a logical database, one or more application server instances (ABAP and/or Java), central services (such as a message server and enqueue server), and optional components (such as TREX and liveCache). The system is identified by its SAP system ID, which consists of 3 letters or digits (e.g. PRD).

Regards

former_member185954
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Yan da,

In that case, can you please let us know why you are trying to install the app server with a different name.

I already mentioned that SAP kernel, which is delivered by SAP has executable files that seek to read from a specific directory structure.

if you view environment variables for userid <sid>adm you will see that they are set by default to /usr/sap/<SID> where <SID> is the 3 letter/digit identification of SAP instance.

So if you are looking to change this structure I don't think you will succeed and hence not recommeneded.

Perhaps if you are able to justify why you need a change of directory structure, someone from SAP should be able to help.

Regards,

Siddhesh

ACE-SAP
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

This is because the SID qualifies an SAP system, and so all the instances from a system shares the same SID.

Regards