cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advantages of Unix over Windows

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello all,

We r planning to move from Windows to Unix platform in OS ,can anybody give me feature list/advantages of Unix over windows .My email id is reachme.saumya@gmail.com. Requested to revert at earliest as this is urgent.

Regards,

Somya

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

Advantages of Unix

- Unix is more flexible and can be installed on many different types of machines, including main-frame computers, supercomputers and micro-computers.

- Unix is more stable and does not go down as often as Windows does, therefore requires less administration and maintenance.

- Unix has greater built-in security and permissions features than Windows.

- Unix possesses much greater processing power than Windows.

- Unix is the leader in serving the Web. About 90% of the Internet relies on Unix operating systems running on Apache, the world's most widely used Web server.

- Software upgrades from Microsoft often require the user to purchase new or more hardware or prerequisite software. That is not the case with Unix.

- The mostly free or inexpensive open-source operating systems, such as Linux and BSD, with their flexibility and control, are very attractive to (aspiring) computer wizards. Many of the smartest programmers are developing state-of-the-art software free of charge for the fast growing "open-source movement”.

- Unix also inspires novel approaches to software design, such as solving problems by interconnecting simpler tools instead of creating large monolithic application programs.

Remember, no one single type of operating system can offer universal answers to all your computing needs. It is about having choices and making educated decisions.

Regards

Sumit Jain

**Reward with points if useful

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello to All,

Thnx to all of urs replies. first of all i want advantages of Unix over Windows..............no Linux .yeah i need comparison in reference to SAP only. Lastly i needed comparison with some data figures also like on moving to unix

from windows will increase processing powere/performance twice/thrice ...................................................................some figures like tat for any comparison point . Good replies shall be awarded points. My email id is rechme.saumya@gmail.com. Requested to revert at earliest as this is urgent.

Regards,

Somya

Former Member
0 Kudos

Soumya

Every One provided you the best answers.Ans to your question is on basics of every word posted by each one.Kindly read them with patience.

To add some more points

The open architecture of the Windows operating system offers many advantages over UNIX, the most dramatic being cost savings and ease of maintenance.

Potential Benefits

Provides a comprehensive assessment and baseline of your IT infrastructures, making it possible to rapidly move forward with planning and implementation

Can significantly improve efficiency, scalability, and availability of your IT infrastructure

Helps reduce your dependency on complex and often expensive proprietary systems

Provides project management expertise from start-to-finish to help ensure your expectations are met

Utilizes existing IT systems and application whenever possible

Minimize disruptions to your flow-of-business and employee productivity

UNIX

The Unix system had a great impact on other operating systems. Unix has been called "the most important operating system you may never use."

Unix had a drastically simplified file model compared to many contemporary operating systems, treating all kinds of files as simple byte arrays.

Unix also popularized the hierarchical file system with arbitrarily nested subdirectories, originally introduced by Multics

Unix provided the TCP/IP networking protocol on relatively inexpensive

As an UNIX solution,allows you to run the applications you want on the hardware you want, scaled to the size you need—bringing you new levels of flexibility and performance.Delivers high levels of security, integration, flexibility and reliability—essential for meeting the high demands of today's e-business applications.

These points should conclude your doubt.

Vinod

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Somya,

Each OS has it's own advantages and disadvantages.

But since you are looking for the advantage of Unix over Windows,

let me go that way..

1) Linux doesnot have any regestries unlike windows and it's easy thereby to handle the folder structure instead of getting into the details of windows regestries. Only experts handle it properly.

2) Linux is a open source so we pay only for the license and support which accounts to be very less compared to the windows setups.

3) Linux is also free from any virus attacks compared to windows which you know very well i guess.

But mind that windows have it's own advantages which cannot be undermined.

take care

reward with suitable points.....

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi,

Is it a generalized question or you want advantages of UNIX over windows keeping SAP in mind.

regards,

yatindra