Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RFC LookUp in PO 7.31

harish_babu5
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi everyone,

We are using PO 7.31. I have ECC at the target side and I need to know few things.

Is it possible to use Graphical mapping with PO 7.31? I saw some blogs that say we can't use it in PO 7.3 but we can use it in PO 7.31 I am confused, can we use it? I can see RFC LookUp function in Message Mapping

2)  I have to fetch values from two different tables during mapping. Can I create two RFC Look ups and use the same RFC Communication channel. I don't think it should be a problem either.

Regards

Harish

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

nabendu_sen
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Harish,

Is it possible to use Graphical mapping with PO 7.31? I saw some blogs that say we can't use it in PO 7.3 but we can use it in PO 7.31 I am confused, can we use it? I can see RFC LookUp function in Message Mapping

Its possible.

2)  I have to fetch values from two different tables during mapping. Can I create two RFC Look ups and use the same RFC Communication channel. I don't think it should be a problem either.

As Hareesh mentioned, it would be better design to keep all your logics and multiple table access under a single Function Module rather than using multiple FMs. But if you already have those RFCs ready, you can use same Communication Channel for both lookups if the SAP system is same.

Regards,

Nabendu.

harish_babu5
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks all for your replies you guys make my day better

I have not figured out the RFCs required for the scenario.

I was thinking of using RFC instead of Proxy at the target side.  So I can use al the RFC calls in the same RFC communication channel that I will use for LookUp as well as posting to ECC.

Technically shouldn't it be possible to use RFC CC for all as the receiver is ECC and anyway I be using RFC CC if I discard proxy option.

Shouldn't this be a better design compared to Proxy?

Harish

suman_saha
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

It will be better design if you use proxy as RFCLookup is difficult to monitor at runtime.

You may get the data in Inbound proxy and let ECC handle all the data manipulation using different ECC tables. It is the best solution. Otherwise you need to create a different function module to capture all the table lookups and get the data during runtime which may cause performance issue also.

Regards,

Suman

harish_babu5
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi

So you mean to say that I should NOT use both RFC LooUps and use Proxy to do the data manipulation. I actually have to fetch two fields from two tables during mapping. Target is ECC but two fields in the table have to be fetched from same ECC using Proxy.

Can Server Proxy handle all these requirements?

Regards

azharshaikh
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Harish,

In this case, I believe you can do the data manipulation (lookup) in proxy code itself...instead of doing RFC lookup call in PI.

Just pass the value as-is to receiver proxy and do the conversions in ur proxy code.

Regards,

Azhar

nabendu_sen
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Harish,

What is the purpose of this RFC Lookup? Are you trying to update one RFC in Lookup and another one as RFC Receiver?

Do the RFC Response coming back from your Lookup required to build Request Message of the RFC Receiver? If NO and you are using Lookup only to update the tables through RFC, change your design.

You should either use one RFC (Custom / Standard Function Module or BAPI) to take care of all the Table updates / access at ECC side or use ABAP Proxy. Proxy has better performance and enhanced monitoring capabilities. You will find lot of information on SCN that why Proxy is better over RFC.

Regards,

Nabendu.

suman_saha
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Harish,

You can write a code inside the Inbound Proxy function module itself to do the data manipulation.I don't see any need of RFC lookup. RFCLookUp is mainly useful when you have to populate data to a standard structure (e.g. Standard IDOC) where you need to fill the data from PI directly.In proxy, you write your own code to select data from whereever you want. So you need not use look up in PI.

Suman

harish_babu5
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Nabendu

This is my exact requirement:

I get a file. I have to pass it to ECC system. I have to create a mapping in PI. There are seven or eight fields, I I still not finalized, that I get from source. Of these fields, two fields are  IPAddress and PIN, . IP Address has a location maintained in a Z Table in ECC. I need to pass the IP Address to the Z table and get the corresponding location and sent it to the target field. For the second field PIN, I need to query  a standard table to get the corresponding value.

All these fields are sent to one table in ECC.

I hope the picture is clear for you.

Harish

former_member184720
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Then instead of using RFC lookup's in PI, It's good to go with proxy.

As other's explained it's very easy to handle the lookup's in proxy.

It's an unnecessary maintenance if you with RFC lookup's and  even in it terms of performance proxy is good.

nabendu_sen
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Harish,

Absolutely clear. Now this is the call from SAP ABAP team. They need to finalize whether it would be under single RFC or single Proxy. Proxy always better and I will suggest you inform them why it is better.

Check below document which very much clears everything:

http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/c0e7ae66-be6d-2a10-d385-92e6e67de...

threads:

Regards,

Nabendu.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member184720
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

In addition

>>>have to fetch values from two different tables during mapping. Can I create two RFC Look ups and use the same RFC Communication channel. I don't think it should be a problem either

You don't need two rfc's to extract the data from multiple tables. It can be handled within one RFC.

This way you can avoid multiple RFC calls..

azharshaikh
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Harish,

1. Yes you can use the RFC function available in Graphical mapping for ur requirement

2. Single RFC CC can be referenced

Please ckh following for more details:

Defining RFC Lookups Graphically - SAP NetWeaver Process Integration - SAP Library

Regards,

Azhar