cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WIP/ODS database - MS SQL Server standard or enterprise

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

didn't find any detailled statements in notes and release infos about that question:

If MS SQL server is used for WIP and ODS databases (ME database server) - is standard edition sufficient or is enterprise edition needed?

The license costs are significant differently (about 1:5...).

I think it would be good to have a clear statment for all future releases.

Beginning with ME 15.0 and SQL-Server 2012 (and newer).

Would be very helpfull if anyone is able to help!

Thanks in advance.

best

Stefan

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sergiy,

thanks a lot for your answer.

SAP should consider to review this topic - Oracle Enterprise RDBMS is freaky expensive. And it's the more freaky, if you have a look on what basic features of a RDBMS the ME is using...

Sure, in near future they want to migrate everything into the HANA-DB.

But a clear and reasoned statement for a few hundreds of thousands of costs would be very helpfull

Regards,

Stefan

0 Kudos

Hi Stefan,

I guess you expect me to answer about the "reasoned statement" why a customer should pay extra cost for Enterprise Edition. This should be addressed to SAP ME Consulting who are responsible for system sizing and landscape recommendations.

As I know, most of the customers are running on Oracle RAC for the purpose of high availability. Not sure if this is a part of Standard Edition.

Additionally, investigation of performance issues requires some tools not available in Standard Edition.

Regards,

Sergiy

0 Kudos

Hi Stefan,

Enterprise Edition is recommended. It is mentioned in the attachment of SAP Note 1919146 that in turn is referenced by SAP ME Installatoin Guide, section 3.1.2.

Regards,

Sergiy