cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transportation Confusion - can anybody help?

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am coming to the completion of my development in the dev environment.

I have created several flavors & scripts.

I have created a user group.

I have transported my flavors and user group over to my UAT environment.

When I log onto my Personas UAT environment (from NWBC) I am offered a dialogue box asking me what system I want to work with; dev or UAT.... this is after having logged into UAT on NWBC!!

If I look at the UI Admin t-code I can see that my flavours are assigned to my Dev System - post transport

If I now look at my user settings I'm logged into TKF but (as we can see above) my flavor is linked to DH7; the groups that I belong to appear to be linked to both which I guess is where the 'which system do you want' dialogue is coming from ...

.. and then when I look at the group it's linked to TKF only...

I'm not clear how version control works here - I had assumed that it would be like an ECC transport path with Screen Design and UI Admin locked in anything but Dev I guess this is not the case ... can anyone help clear this up?

Regards.

Patrick.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

tamas_hoznek
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

The reason why you now see two systems in UAT is that when you are transporting a group, the transport tool also takes the attached system configuration and includes it in the transport request. Now you have both the DEV and UAT system configured in UAT, which most of the times doesn't make sense.

That's why I always advise NOT to transport groups, but to build them manually in each system. It is unlikely that your users / authorization settings / PFCG roles in UAT will match the same in DEV, so it is always better to just set up the group in the environment they belong to.

I'd advise to remove the superfluous system config in SPRO and delete the group, then set it up in UAT.

As for the flavors, after transport you'll have to adjust the system assignment using the admin transaction. Get rid of anything that doesn't belong to the target system and you'll be OK.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Wow - quick response Tamas - lovin' it - Ta.

So even when we go to prod, we'll have an exercise of working on the user set-up and group definition etc. ... hmmm ok .... a little unussual - no?

Will this be the same with release 3?

UAT & PROD environments are usually locked so hands on config is not possible - how is this managed in the context of Personas?

Thanks.

Patrick.

tamas_hoznek
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

The security concept of 3.0 is completely different, so this will not be done like in 2.0

Even if UAT and Prod are locked down, there is always some manual config work needed in each system. This is not unique to Personas. Chalk the Personas-related steps up to that activity list

After all, I'm pretty sure your security settings and users are not a 100% match in DEV vs. PROD... how do you manage that now? I'd think there are some manual activities taking place in this department. So I don't see this as being unusual.