Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archive logs getting generated at multiple location ORAARCH & SAPBACKUP

former_member209962
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Friends,

I have notice archive logs are getting generated at multiple location for some of our server.

Naturally it should generate only in ORACLE\SID\ORAARCH which is happening but it is also getting generated at ORACLE\SID\SAPBACKUP location

This is happening only for few servers i compared initsid.sap file of other servers with this servers and evrything looks same.

kindly advice why suddenly these files are generating on multiple locations, we are having this issue on 10.2 and 11.2

Thanks

Basis

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

former_member209962
Participant
0 Kudos

Dear All,

Thank you all for your recmonedations.

issues is sorted out.

We are using HP Data protector for backups and we have daily online+archive log backup and one more time just archive log backup. This action is trigger by backint but some time if we have any issues with tape librirary or any issue with HP DP itself then we take backup from brtools on exertnal hard drives

and as you are aware brtool read initsid.sap and there LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST  is sapbackup,hence archive log was saving at this location.

thanks

Basis

fidel_vales
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

mmmmm,

interesting way of earning points.

answering its own question and indicating it is the correct answer.

I can see a trend starting

former_member209962
Participant
0 Kudos

Dear Fidel,

I had no intention of earning points i marked it as answered as this will benefit others too and also issues is resolved.

Thanks

Basis

Reagan
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

If OP marks his reply as the correct answer then he is not going to get the points.

fidel_vales
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Reagan Benjamin wrote:

If OP marks his reply as the correct answer then he is not going to get the points.

Good to know

Former Member
0 Kudos

How the parameter LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST defined?

SQL>show parameter LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST

regards,

pavan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Abdul,

You can choose whether to archive redo logs to a single destination or multiplex them. If you want to archive only to a single destination, you specify that destination in the LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST initialization parameter. If you want to multiplex the archived logs, you can choose whether to archive to up to ten locations (using the LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST_n parameters) or to archive only to a primary and secondary destination (using LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST and LOG_ARCHIVE_DUPLEX_DEST). The following table summarizes the multiplexing alternatives, which are further described in the sections that follow.

LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST_n          :     LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST_1 = 'LOCATION=/disk1/arc'

LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST_2 = 'SERVICE=standby1'

Regards,

Vamsi.

srinivasan_vinayagam
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Tabrayz,

Check whether you have scheduled archive backuop or not in DB13, if you scheduke backp check backup mode.

May be backup archive file come to sapbackup location.

Regards,

V Srinivasan

fidel_vales
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi,

I do not think they are "generated", things are not "generated" randomly or magically.

1.- take a look at where the archive process "archives" the redo logs. There are some parameters that will indicate Oracle where to put those files. Check them (log_archive_dest_n) but they only are taken into consideration when the database is archive log mode. Typical destination is "ORAARCH"

2.- If your other destination (SAPBAKUP) is not there then there is another tool copying the files there.

it might be BRBACKUP and/or BRARCHIVE. You should take a look not only to the "configuration file" init<sid>.sap but how do you call those tools.

For example, the following parameters default to the mentioned directory:

archive_stage_dir

backup_root_dir

recov_copy_dir

so, check exactly what are you doing on this server and you are NOT doing on the other servers. We do not know that, you do, so it is up to you to find it out.