cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Attach/Deatch method with MS SQL Server 2005/2012 SAP ECC

0 Kudos

Dear Experts,

I am new to MS SQL Server. Currently i am working with a client on OS/DB Upgrade:

Current Setup - Windows 2008R2, MS SQL Server 2005, SAP ECC 6.0 SR3.

Target - Windows 2012, MS SQL Server 2012, SAP ECC 6.0 SR3.

I went through couple of notes in SMP. I need to do a System copy of SQL 2005 to my test Server. My plan is...

1. restore FULL ONLINE BACKUP of PRD db to Freshly installed ECC 6.0 Test System and perform attach/detach method.

After attaching the DB should i run the SQL4SAP.vbs or to run "Database copy completion" in SWPM???

If i restore FULL ONLINE BACKUP with transaction log backup or differential backup (As my client is working 24/7-no downtime for offline backup) to my target should i run any additional commands like recover commands in ORACLE???

2. After that DB upgrade from SQL Server 2005 to 2012 according to the SAP doc sql2012_upgrade i got it from a note.

After executing all the steps do i need to run option "Database upgrade completion" or not needed???

Please help me and suggest...

Thanks in advance.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Matt_Fraser
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The procedure for the system copy with SQL Server is fully described in the System Copy Guide. You can find the guide on the SMP at http://service.sap.com/instguides -> Release & Upgrade Info -> Installation & Upgrade Guides -> SAP NetWeaver -> SAP NetWeaver 7.0 (2004s) -> Installation -> 2 - Installation - SAP NetWeaver Systems -> System Copy: Systems Based on SAP NetWeaver 7.0/7.0 EHPs -> Windows: ABAP (http://service.sap.com/~sapidb/011000358700001419132012E).

However, the upshot of it is that you will install SQL Server on your target system (whether via SQL4SAP.vbs or manually (which I recommend, for more control over distribution to disks)). This is done before you copy the database. Then you will do a restore of the database to the target system using a backup made from your source system (no source system downtime required). That will at minimum include a full backup, but whether it also includes differentials or transaction log backups depends on whether you're trying to capture a particular point-in-time snapshot or just need a recent copy of the source.

After you have restored the backup, and then got any necessary backups, etc, created of it on your target system, then you will run sapinst from the 70SWPM tool, using the options as described in the system copy guide. That will install your target system using the existing database. Note that besides SWPM you will also need the kernel installation media appropriate for your operating system and database version.

There are some manual steps required after you run SWPM to 'clean up' the target system before beginning any actual use of it, and these are detailed in the system copy guide.

This will give you your copied test system, that you can then practice upgrades on.

Note that there are other considerations for your upgrade plans. The upgrade from SQL 2005 to SQL 2012 is pretty straightforward (and indeed, if you want, you can just install a new copy of SQL 2012 and then restore your database to it. The SWPM tool will take care of the adjustments to the database required). The upgrade from Windows 2008 to Windows 2012 is less straightforward.

In fact, neither Microsoft nor SAP directly support upgrading Windows on a productive server with SAP installed on it, except under special circumstances. Instead, the preferred option is to install Windows 2012 as a fresh, new system, then install a fresh copy of SQL 2012 on it, and then use system copy to install SAP and migrate your system onto it. Think of it as a perfect opportunity to move onto new hardware, if you're considering that too. If not, though, you can still export (backup) your system and save it offline/elsewhere, then reinstall Windows in v2012 R2 on the existing hardware, then use the database copy completion described above to reinstall SAP with your database.

Regards,

Matt

giri_ayyagari
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Sithanandan

Ps. refer below doc, might be helpful.

http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-42596

-Giri