cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Periodic maintenance scenario

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am trying to create the following scenario in SAP (ECC 6.0):

1. We have a number of DG sets of varying capacities feeding power requirements for different areas and functions (operations) of plant (a large petrochemical complex).

2. Maintenance tasks have to be carried out periodically based on manufacturer's recommendations based on hours run or calendar period. For example the "B Check" has to be carried out every 250 hours of actual running hours OR every SIX Months, whichever is earlier?

3. Once the limit is reached the system to generate a maintenance order automatically.

Can you please help me by describing precise sequence of steps that I must follow? I want the system to generate the order on reaching the threshold of SIX months even when the DG set has not been run at all. (I have already crated objects such as FLOC/equip etc.)

Thanks for help.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

sebastian_lenartowicz
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Greetings Bhattacharya,

You will need to create a Multiple Counter Plan. Therein you may specify the Cycles as 250 run hours OR 6 calendar months. You will also need to create - and specify on the same plan - a Measuring Point for Characteristic "RUN_HOURS".

So, the sequence is:

CT04 - find or create a Characteristic with the type NUM and unit H

IK01 - create a Measuring Point with this Characteristic for your technical object (DG set). Specify an Annual Estimate (for continously-ran Equipments it's abouit 8000 hours, but for your assets it may be less)

IK11 - create a Measurement Document for this Plan

IP43 - create a Multiple Cycle Plan with these parameters - note the cycles and the -OR- link.

Assign a Task List to the Maintenance Item and you're good to go.

I hope this answers your question, but follow up if your requirement is more complex

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Seb,

Thanks for your reply.

I have following queries:

1.    Should I be using IP43 as suggested by you or IP01 (which has a check box "Multiple Cntr.")?

2.    I am unable to release the plan so created (using IP43). I am getting a system response "Release not possible as MaintPlan already released, called or skipped". I am confused as I tried to "release" the plan without having created any other transaction related to it.

3.    How do I enter the ACTUAL time elapsed (of the running hours) of the DG set into the system? It will always happen because the actual running hours will differ from the estimated value used while creating the counter (due to operational reasons). Supposing there are four DG sets and I have equally divided total estimated running hours between then while creating counter for each of them. Now say, one of the DG sets is down due to turn around or for some other reason. In such a case the no. of hours of actual running for the rest would increase. How to enter the additional running hours into the system so that the trigger for the preventive maintenance (i.e. the B Check) would be earlier than that calculated by the system when based on the original estimated running hours value.

I hope I am being coherent. Any thought on this please?

Thanks

sebastian_lenartowicz
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

@1) Either IP01 or Ip43 is fine, IP43 just doesn't require ticking that box.

@2) I'm not sure what you mean there, where are you getting this message IP400 - Release not possible as MaintPlan already released, called or skipped ? Is that in the t-code IP10 ? For scheduling your counter-based Plans, I expect that you would normally run the IP30 transaction with "Rescheduling" flag so that it reschedules and calls the Work Orders for you. Can you elaborate on what are you doing to be presented with this error?

@3) You would continue to input your Measuring Documents through IK11. If for one of the DG sets the usage is less that expected, this would be reflected in the lesser values in the Documents and based on that trend the maintenance activities would be rescheduled.

Note that:

- You should have multiple, separate Multiple Counter Plans if you want maintenance schedules to be different for each DG set based on the usage

- You will probably want to have a high Call Horizon on the Maintenance Plans

- You will probably want to have a short Scheduling Interval

--this is to avoid a situation where SAP schedules the maintenance based off the Annual Estimate, and the Order is called in advance, but then due to low usage, no new hours are recorded and maintenance should be delayed - but can't be done from the Plan as the Order is already called

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Got delayed again. Fact is I had a small mishap in office and has been diagnosed with a muscle tear. Currently have a nice (precautionary) cast on my right foot.

Just to come back to your reply, my comments are:

1.    I guessed as much. Thanks for confirmation.

2.    I will take you through the steps I am following.

a.    My primary aim is that the system would create a maintenance order based on the multiple counter plan.

b.    I have completed all the four steps as was suggested by you including assignment of Task List to the multiple counter plan,

c.    The next steps to achieve the objective would be:

c1.    Scheduling of the multiple counter plan (Tcode – IP30). After creating the plan, from the session itself (IP43) I went to Maint. Plan -> Schedule which is basically IP10 and using “Start” button created Scheduling Call. Afterwards using IP30 created Deadline monitoring but I am not sure what effect it is having (other than a log that “Maintenance plan has been scheduled”.

c2.    I understand I have to create measuring documents periodically so as to update the actual no. of running hours of the DG set (Tcode – IK11) i.e. increase the value of running hours. But after I have created the meas. doc. and on trying to check the new schedule of start of the job I find that instead of advancing the start date it is receding back. Actually during one of such checks the error msg “Release not possible as MaintPlan already released, called or skipped” was received. My point is that if equip. usage has been more than the average value based on the estimated annual value specified in the counter. the scheduled date of the “B Check” should be earlier (i.e. advance). But that am unable comprehend from the scheduling list why it is happening to the contrary. Please guide me on this as to where I am going wrong.

c3.    One question: How does a user check in the system as to the current status of the number of running hours having been completed for the DG set?

c4.    Is there a way that the system generates an alert once it reaches the threshold value (when the actual maintenance i.e. “B Check” has to be carried out)?

c5.    How do I simulate the scenario in the system by inputting the additional running hours done (instead of creating measuring documents)? This will be solely for the purpose of testing if the settings are working as desired.

3.    About the points made by you in your footnote:

a.    I have created separate Multiple Counter Plans for each DG.

b.    Could you please elaborate on your following points:

b1.    “You will probably want to have a high Call Horizon on the Maintenance Plans” – What exactly do I need to do for this. Please note that as per my requirements, the maint. job will need to be carried out before the expiry of six calendar months.

b2.    “You will probably want to have a short Scheduling Interval”. Since I have two parameters in the plan i.e. Running Hours and time based (Month), if I have understood your point correctly, even if no measurement documents are not created in the interim, the system would create an order based on the second parameter (Month) once the value reaches the threshold (i.e. after the Six month period lapses).

b3.    “This is to avoid a situation where SAP schedules the maintenance based off the Annual Estimate, and the Order is called in advance, but then due to low usage, no new hours are recorded and maintenance should be delayed - but can't be done from the Plan as the Order is already called” – I think this point would be part of the point above i.e. “b2”.

Please let me know if this is in order and the way forward.

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

I am able to create the scenario with success with one cycle with measuring point and with one calendar period (i.e. 250 run hours and 6 months).

While I am trying to create the plan with following I am facing a problem that the system does not allow the same counter to be assigned to more than one cycle:

CYCLE     UNIT     DESCRIPTION     COUNTER

250          H          "B" CHECK          11

6              MON     6 Month

500          H          "C" CHECK          11

12           MON     12 month

I get an error message saying "A cycle exists already for this counter - reset".

Now my problem is that I can not use two counters for the same function (in this case the hour meter for the engine).

Could you please guide me to the correct process for this scenario.

Thanks.

sebastian_lenartowicz
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Re: c1 - if you have any due call dates within the Scheduling Interval specified in IP30 variant, they should get created in the system - compare with the schedule you see in IP10.

c2 - you are correct, with the increasing Counter reading the next due call should be moving earlier, not later - can you post some examples?

c3 - You can use the "Last measuring document" icon, and the latest reading for the relevant counter will be visible in the Maintenance Plan schedule as well.

c4 - It will generate the Order 😉

c5 - The input of measurement documents is the only way

b1 - footnote about the high Call Horizon is to prevent you from a situation where the equipment is idle, but an Order is generated based on the annual estimate and schedule - this is to give you enough time to update Measurement Documents. But make some simulations in IP10 and find out what call horizon value works best for you.... see also b2

Answers (0)