cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maintenance Optimizer and SPAM updates

Former Member
0 Kudos

I sucessfully used Maintenance optimizer to bring my Solution Manager 4.0 system from SPS 10 to 11. One thing I noticed. Usually when applying ABAP SPs, you are advised to upgrade tp, R3trans and SPAM/SAINT to the latest available. I know that lately ABAP support packages are smart and know what SPAM/TP/R3trans levels they need. Now a SP Stack includes a kernel patch so that means tp and R3trans are taken care of. Question: Will SP stacks be SPAM aware and advise you when a SPAM/SAINT update is required or will you need to open two M_O projects (one for the SPAM update when necessary to apply the ABAP SPs of the other)? I see SPAM for SAP basis 700 version 23 exists but version 22 was sufficient for SPS 11 of Solution Manager 4.0.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

But maintenance_organizer does not control the SPAM queue, or even the tool used, SPAM, SPAM update, JSPM, etc. It does, however, control you access to Support Packages. To go from SPS 10 to SPS 11, ABAP SPs, kernel packages, and java SPs are necessary. I have to run JSPM and SPAM. Right now, I can ignore maintenance_optimizer and can find the SPAM update (23) for SAP basis 700, but SAP has indicated that for support packages of SAP netweaver 2004s released AFTER APRIL 2007 maintenance_optimizer MUST be used. When SPAM update 24 for SAP basis 700 comes out in May or June 2007, I will need to use maintnance_optimizer to retrieve and apply it, won't I? But maintenance_optimizer throws you into the Support Package Stack selection dialog. If SPS 12 needs SPAM update 23 the support package dialog SHOULD know this and give you the opportunity to download same, no?

yuezhi_zhao
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Ken,

The import methods of SPAM update and SPs in SPS are different. As you know, in transaction SPAM, there's a special menu for SPAM update. You can't include the SPAM update Support acakge in the import queue in SPAM. Although SPAM 22 might be enough for SPS11, it's alway recommended to have the latest SPAM update imported first before you import any support pacakge in SPAM.

Regads,

Joe