cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Content Server 6.40 (32 bit) migration to Content Server 6.50 (64 bit)

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI everyone,

The documentation made this look fairly straight forward, in that you install a 6.50 MaxDb 7.9 system and then user Loadercli to migrate the data contained in the old system into the new. Unfortunately, the new 6.50 install does not work. I get 403 and 404 errors when accessing the test urls for both content server and cache server and can only access the urls on the local host. Our OS is Windows 2012 R2 server with IIS 8.5. I don't seem to be able to locate the Content Server configuration details listed in the installation guide dated April 2014. I have also installed the MaxDBStudio 7.9 tool, however there appears to be no information on how to connect this to the installed content server and MaxDB database.

Please advise, post links to documentation, as the only solution that appears to exist is to deinstall and start again. This would be great IF there were a deinstall option to deinstall Content Server in sapinst supplied in SWPM10SP06_6-20009707.SAR (screenshot attached).

Many thanks in advance for any information.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Reagan,

Tried the update function, and the tool reports it is not configured for updates. Tried loading to my local laptop as I also have working DBMGui there, and I get issues with password creation, so still cannot connect studio to remote databases. All rather bizarre as I have a colleague who uses a slightly older version to manage liveCache databases.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have followed these instruction (link won't paste) in an attempt to resolve the initial password issue when opening the DBStudio (as admin)

• If you already know the password

Go to: Windows -> Preferences -> General -> Security -> Secure Storage -> Change Password

• If you do not know the password and did not setup the security questions
    In this case you can only delete the Secure Storage in order to use Database Studio. The consequence is, that all your landscape data will be lost as well.Go to: Windows -> Preferences -> General -> Security -> Secure Storage -> Tab: Contents -> Button: Delete

Regarding the DB Studio problem, it could be because of a damanged eclipse workspace. Try the following:

1. From the above explanation, I understood that you do not have any landscape data in your DB Studio. If in case, you have already added landscape information then save it by saving the following file: C:\Users\<user name>\sdb\DatabaseStudio\.metadata
  2. Empty the folder C:\Users\<user name>\sdb\DatabaseStudio.
  3. In case if you perform the STEP-1, then recover the file C:\Users\<user name>\sdb\DatabaseStudio\.metadata that
    you have saved in STEP-1.
  4. Restart the Database Studio.

Problem is, I'm not even asked for an initial password. So I have two DBStudio's neither of which work and both for different reasons.

Reagan
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Maria

Have you tried to use the DBMGui instead of the studio. I believe the DBMGui doesn't prompt for the secure store password creation. We somehow need to get the DBMGui/Studio working to take a backup

Reagan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Reagan,

I meant to update yesterday. Some how the DBStudio is now working on the target server (Windows 2012 R2). Not completely sure how I did it, but I think it involved using the sdblaunch program to uninstall just DBStudio. I then deleted the folders as in step 2 above, and then used the Installation Manager or SDBSETUP I can't remember which, and watched an update of the DBStudio 3 components take place. I then had to execute DBstudio as current user and uncheck the restriction box (domain user is in the Admin group for this server) and it all went as it should. Able to add both source and target Content Server databases. Backup and recovery can wait till Monday

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Reagan
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

I believe you have successfully migrated the MaxDB database to 64-bit. Check whether the IIS roles are present for the Content Server. 1704365 - IIS roles not created by default when installing Content Server on Windows 2008

The configuration details are stored in the ContentServer.ini file

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Reagan,

I haven't, as yet been able to restore the database contents of our 6.40 system to the 6.50 system. I have read that this can only be done via MaxDbStudio recommended version 7.9. This I have installed on both the 6.40 (32bit) server and 6.50 (64bit) server. However, there seems to be no information on how to configure MaxDBStudio to pick up the existing database, thus I am unable to perform the backup on the 32 bit server in order to restore the database on the 64 bit server as per instructions in SAP note 129352. This achieved I will then be able to look at IIS (version 8.5), although I am not sure how to go about creating the roles in the note given above. Do you have any information on how to connect MaxDBStudio to the MaxDB instances?

Many thanks

Reagan
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hello Maria

After installing MaxDB studio or the Database Manager you need to connect the database instance by adding them.

In the popup window you need to enter the hostname and add the instance shown in the next screen. Make sure the Xserver services are running.

Reagan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Reagan,

X_server processes are running. I have DBMGUI 7.6 attached to the instances on both servers, but do not get anything when I execute dbstudio. No pop up window, just a blank screen, even when executing it from the command line with

dbstudio.exe. -l MAXDB -n <hostname> -d CDB -u control,passwd -d SDB -u control, passwd -a DBM

Many thanks

Reagan
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hello Maria

If you have DB Manager installed then are you able to connect to the database using the DGMGUI ?

If the MaxDB Studio starts with a blank screen then most likely it should be an issue with the FRE installed on the system. Update the Java and see if that helps.

Reagan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Reagan,

I have installed JRE 7, and this has got us a little further along and I can now open all perspectives, except The DBstudio. I am assuming this is a bug in the latest version.

Many thanks

Reagan
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Try to update the studio and see if it helps. If the studio was installed on the server then install it on the local machine (personal laptop) and connect the DB from there.