cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why not add disk / memory when low on resources?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

It might be stupid query but let me ask.

Suppose I have decided to go for HANA with 1 TB size in memory. So disk space will be 4 TB.

Now suppose we came to know in later stage that 1 TB memory in not sufficient and we should add more memory.

Now my query is

1. Can we just extend more memory just like we do on normal [ Non HANA ] system.

Can we do it or not ? If not why?

2. If 1 is not the solution , I think scale out the another solution. So slave nodes have to be HANA Appliance?

Regards,

Vinay

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

It's not a stupid question.

You must think to your future state architecture when designing a HANA solution. What are your data needs today, what will they be in the future?

It is possible to buy a 1TB system and license 512GB. You can buy more license when you need it, with some vendors it is possible to upgrade to 2TB, but with HANA, CPU count and RAM size must match so you can't just upgrade RAM alone.

It is possible with some vendors to upgrade from scale-up to scale-out. In this case you would move from 1TB to 3+1TB.

Lots of options, talk to a hardware vendor and choose carefully!

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

former_member182967
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Vinay,

You can consider for tailored data center integration (TDI), which provided more flexible setup.

If CPUs are not used so much in TDI, you may appropriately add some memory with some disk space.

Thanks & Best Regards,

Tong Ning

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi John / Patrick,

Thank you for your quick answer. It helped me to understand however it gave me another queries.Could you please suggest

1. So ho much RAM , HANA  can use depends upon licensing agreement? This techical restriction or licensing auditing one?

2. I can't upgrade RAM alone for HANA.But with HANA, CPU count and RAM size must match. This is also techical restriction or licensing one?

3. Suppose even if I have license for 512 GB  and I upgrade to 1 TB [ If techically possible for HANA ], will it be possible for  HANA DB to use that extra RAM as well techically?

Regards,

Vinay

Former Member
0 Kudos

1) Yes, HANA is licensed by RAM and this is not a technical limit

2) This is a limit imposed by the certification process

3) Technically, yes

patrickbachmann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Vinay,

It depends on your licensing agreement.  Usually you buy memory in blocks.  ie: You might buy a 1TB memory block but you are only paying for 250GB in your licensing aggrenent so it will be capped at 250GB.  When you find you are consistently maxing out your 250GB you would buy more licensing and boost the cap to 500GB for example without having to install more memory.  When you are finally paying for the full 1TB and need more such as 1TB + 250GB you would have to install another full 1TB block (boosting potential capacity to 2TB) and then license 250GB more.  At least that's my understanding of how it works.  And no you can not utilize memory on a non-hana appliance if that's what you are asking in your second question.

-Patrick