cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Afaria android client refresh/connect interval - Afaria 7 SP5

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi;

I am working on an Afaria 7 SP5 implementation using Android devices, Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 with OS version 4.2.2 and 4.0.4.

I have a question with regards to the refresh/connect interval for the afaria client on these devices, does the client have a way of connecting automatically to the afaria server over a given interval to check for updates?? Or every time there is a change to a policy, the user must always manually connect the client to get up to date policies? If this is a setting that is set, if so, where is this done on the afaria server/client.

Thanks and Regards;

Sizo Ndlovu

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

tracy_barkley
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

When you make your policies, there is a schedule link on the left side.  Add in the default policies schedule to your policy.  You can also edit it here if you want to change the default connect time.  It by default fires at 12 pm every day.  If you have more than a handful of clients I recommend randomizing the schedule.  Otherwise every device you have will try and connect at 12pm and flood the server.  This is also done by editing the scheduled and going to the randomize tab.  Be aware that the schedule fires local device time, not server time.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Tracy;

Thank you for the response. I'm getting the following errors, it looks like the server tries to push the policy with no success.

ONS1003: Could not connect to client "354795055291485", with Client GUID, "{a62894c5-fde1-3262-a40f-b406c2c21e62}". The specified host, "X.X.X.X", cannot be reached.

ONS1001: Could not connect to client "66876741e17c6c15", with Client GUID, "{fa2e97fc-9ff3-3e9a-b2b1-5efa70eb96ac}". The specified host, "X.X.X.X", refused the connection. The Afaria Client Listener is probably not running.

So apparently we need to have the ports 5228, 5229, and 5230 opened for GCM, according to the following notes : 1929243; 1997837. Am I right?

Thanks and Regards;

Sizo Ndlovu

tracy_barkley
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Yes, and you will need a GCM id associated with the devices.  If that is already set up the ports should be all you need.

keith_nunn
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Sizo,

Your ONS1003 error is telling you that the server is trying to reach the client based on its IP address and is not able to reach it.  For an Android device, that indicates that the GCM registration of the device has not been successful.  As Tracy said, you need to have that GCM association present for your device.

Likely causes of missing registration are 1) your GCM configuration information has not been entered or it's not correct, 2) the GCM ID has not been selected for inclusion in the enrollment policy for your devices or 3) the device doesn't have a valid Google account associated with it.

As for the posts, that's correct that you need ports 5228, 5229 and 5230 opened outbound according to the Google documentation.  In practice, we have not seen any traffic recorded over 5229 or 5230.

Keith Nunn
SAP Active Global Support
SAP Canada

Answers (0)